• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Big Cichlids - Who's Left

I have not been very active on the board or meetings over the last year due to a motorcycle accident. I have noticed that a number of the tank buster owners have moved on for various reasons. So my question is who is still around that deals in tank busting/hyper- aggressive cichlids at this time. If you don't mind list out what you have. Thanks in advance

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Terrell:

I haven't gotten rid of all my big boys, but some of them. I still have a Lake Nicaragua citrenellum pair (although the male tried to kill the female so they are in separate tanks). I picked up Matt's w/c labiatus pair (Zapatera Island, I believe) and they live in my 180 with a group of bocourti. The bocourti aren't aggressive, but they will get big over time. I've also got a group of atromaculatum that are starting to get some size to them.

Glad you are back on the forum. Hope to see you at a meeting soon.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I dont have allot of big cichlids but i have some good sized rays and a nice sized gar. I also have a juvinile T.Buttikofferi, some H.psittacum, and a fahaka puffer which will be future tank busters.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Mostly medium to large new world cichlids, although I have some big Madagascar Dambas and some large Petenia splendida (snooks) - not really aggressive but big!

Matt

spazmattik

Members
Hey Matt, do you still have the black saggitae and loiselli you got from me?

Christine thats awesome you are trying amphs! Such great fish

dogofwar

CCA Members
Yes - have both, although they're not quite big yet. Saggitae are probably 4" or so. Had a pair of the Loiselli that knocked off the others...then the female killed the male... So she's in a 150g.

Matt

Hey Matt, do you still have the black saggitae and loiselli you got from me?

Christine thats awesome you are trying amphs! Such great fish

spazmattik

Members
Im still in there Terrell. The most noteable ones with size are my oscar and grammode that you have already seen.. a male festae i got from tparker, a wild midas from rapps and 2 true parrots. Oh and a 7" or so rio coello umbee with attitude. Everything else is a growout.

Hartwegi, Parrots, Snooks, Zonatus, Guttulatus, Synspilum, Bifasciatus, Coatzacoalcos, Melanurus, Fenestratus, Argentea, Regani, Intermedium, Heterospulus. Not killers, but big and tempermental.

rich_one

Members
I still have my big fish and posted a few pics of some not too long ago. As for a list, I'll do it when I get home this evening if I get a chance... it'd be a LONG list! LOL...

-Rich

I keep both big and small cichlid, all in same tanks. I have a 14" Vieja fenestratus, 12" V. melanlurus and a 10" Green Terror in a 125 with smaller cichlid down to 1" Julies maliari. My 75 has a 10" V. bifas, 10" Green Terror and an 8" Malawian trout with smaller cichlid down to tiny Daffodil fry. My big cichlid aren't tank busters, never bang glass, prey or bully small fish. They are timid giants I have to approach the tanks slowly so they don't get skittish.

rich_one

Members
Forgot to do my list. I have nearly every vieja. LOL... aside from that, I have:

Festae
Amphilophus red isletas
Amphilophus lyonsi
Amphilophus citranellum
Hericthys bocourti
Hericthys pearsi
Hericthys carpintis vontehillo
Hericthys deppi

Do gibberosas count? LOL...

I obviously have quite a few tanks, though I'm sure I could stand to thin the crowd a bit. I can be a hoarder. :blush:

-Rich