• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Does anyone know how to sex giraffe cichlids

I just bought two new giraffe cichlids they are 3-3.5 inches long I was wondering how to sex them or are they still to young to sex

Sent from my Z750C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

EdWhite

Members
Male venustus will have a blue face and more of a deep gold markings. Females are a little lighter in color and will have brighter yellow on bottom of tail and belly. I have an adult pair I can show you pics.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

EdWhite

Members
It's a bad camera on my phone and my Malawi tank thinks they're being fed every time I walk near the tank. You can see that the male is more golden and female is more silvery. My male is almost 8" and female is about 5"

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1416627789.485033.jpg

verbal

CCA Members
I think 3 inches is a little small for males to show color. They will eventually get to roughly 10", but they take a while to do so.

Mine took less than a year to go from 1" to 8". Females have more yellow in their anal fin when young and not showing much else in terms of sex. Before the blue face, yellow blaze, pointed fins, white/yellow dorsal margin...

Sent from my SM-S890L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I'm on my 3rd generation of adult fish in my 180. They will show color early imo... 3" give or take, even with other bigger fish in the tank. They are fearless.

My male is about 3 inches my females are also 3 inches after a lot of searching I've discovered the male has more blue on its body and has pointed dorsal and anal fins and the females have rounded dorsal and anal fins and way less blue on the body with darker brown spots than the male

And the males have more yellow on their tail fins and females only have half yellow on theirs which is the lower half of their tails

Thanks guys I've figured it out I had two girls so I now have 2 girls 1 male now