• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Wtb : arowana tank mates

Acpape0

Members
Hello I am switching over my tank and picking up a 8" silver arowana. He is going into a 125 until it is time to upgrade to a 8' tank. I am looking for tank mates. Pretty open . Needs to be a bottom or mid tank dweller at least 4-5" to prevent him becoming a snack. Looking for new worlds and possibly a ray. Have something else that might work? Mention it, and I'll do some research on compatibility and let you know. Can pay with cash or trades for Africans or tanks or whatever. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

I keep my guys with tiger shovelnose cats and the other one with a couple of clown knives I dont think you could go wrong with either one...

kevin911

Members
I have datnoids of various size, Lmk what size you prefer.

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

blkmjk

Members
Will a peacock bass coexist with a ray and arowana ? Say 8inch silver and 4-5" motoro ray ?

In a 125??? No no way a 125 is too small for a motoro alone. Besides don't by a ray less than 6"disc. Not to mention the arrowana will outgrow the 125 in months. Same with the bass if you feed them well. All of that feeding will screw up your water quality no matter how many filters you have on there... this is just what I've read so don't take my word for it but hit up mfk stingray forum and pose the same question and get some advice from some experienced ray keepers...

Drew

Acpape0

Members
In a 125??? No no way a 125 is too small for a motoro alone. Besides don't by a ray less than 6"disc. Not to mention the arrowana will outgrow the 125 in months. Same with the bass if you feed them well. All of that feeding will screw up your water quality no matter how many filters you have on there... this is just what I've read so don't take my word for it but hit up mfk stingray forum and pose the same question and get some advice from some experienced ray keepers...

Drew
The question was in reference to juveniles
The 125 is temporary as previously stated ... 8' tank will be purchased when nessicary but there is no way in h*ll I can justify it at current time when the largest fish in tank will be 8 inches to begin with....posts like this are why I stay off mfk... I know full well a upgrade will be needed and I look forward to it around Christmas. I am merely asking potential compatibility

Why not buy a ray less than 6 inches?

Last edited:

Acpape0

Members
Just for reference with bio loads the thank is running at a 20x per hour filtration... 200 gallon rated professional sump and 2 ac 110s with wave makes to keep debris from settling on bottom

kevin911

Members
Ray less than 6" disc is very fragile Adam, the water chemistry and ph has to on point.

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

blkmjk

Members
The question was in reference to juveniles
The 125 is temporary as previously stated ... 8' tank will be purchased when nessicary but there is no way in h*ll I can justify it at current time when the largest fish in tank will be 8 inches to begin with....posts like this are why I stay off mfk... I know full well a upgrade will be needed and I look forward to it around Christmas. I am merely asking potential compatibility

Why not buy a ray less than 6 inches?

MonsterFishKeepers.com
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...Rays-12-Tips-for-prospective-owners-(by-bUrPz)

Take it from experience. Don't buy the fish if you don't have the space... get the arrowana if you want...buy the ray if you want.... heck buy all of the bass you want. The way I see it is a nice motoro is going to cost 300$+ with shipping. And decent arrow could be 50-100$ nice bass at 6" could be 125-175$ a piece. Go ahead buy them all and stick them in a 125 with 20x turnover and you'll still loose fish but please don't take my word for it. 20x turn over you have 2500gph? On a 125? How? That's 3/fx5 in terms of flow... you couldn't even put ac110's all they way around the tank and get that circulation. Besides it's not circulation that matters it's volume of water in relationship to bio load. Feeding all of those fish at once will screw up your water. Baby rays need to eat at a minimum of twice a day. Arrowana as well as bass are food hogs. Which means you'll have to over feed the arrowana and bass to get food to the bottom for the ray. Your water will spike out of control and you'll burn the ray with ammonia and nitrites. Not to mention unless this is on a drip system I'm not sure how it would ever keep nitrates down? Look I'm not trying to bust balls here I'm just trying to politely warn you about what your trying to do. It will fail and you will be out the money and the cool fish. Your planning on purchasing a larger tank buy it now and wait for the fish trust me you'll thank me later. But if you choose to proceed please post regularly and with pictures so we can all benefit from your learning experience.

Drew

Acpape0

Members
So let me get this correct a 8in arowana , 4in motoro, and say a 4-5 inch bass will not be ok in a 125 for approximately 5 months.... My sump is at 1250 Gph , and the rwo ac110 are at 500 Gph so I am at 2250 Gph.

There no reason to be rude.

Thanks for the link tho good info

Acpape0

Members
Ok so I will def. not do a bass Untill upgrade. The aro is a def. I cant stand to see him in the heavily stocked
55 g that he is in from the person I am buying from. I would like to do a ray ... I was hoping for a motoro but if he can't last a few months on my current setup I may have to reconsider. How about a smaller species of ray... Any recommendations

blkmjk

Members
So let me get this correct a 8in arowana , 4in motoro, and say a 4-5 inch bass will not be ok in a 125 for approximately 5 months.... My sump is at 1250 Gph , and the rwo ac110 are at 500 Gph so I am at 2250 Gph.

There no reason to be rude.

Thanks for the link tho good info

Firstly,

I apologize if my response to your inquiry has been perceived as rude. That was not my intension.

But no I do not think it will work even short term I would sell the 125 get the 8' 300 or 240 gallon setup and then purchase the fish. If you can buy it in five months then just wait it will be worth it in the long run. But it is ultimately your call. Not mine. Maybe some of the CCA oddball keepers can weigh in and shine some light on the subject.

As far as your sump goes what pump are you running what size is your piping and bulkhead fittings. Where is your sump placed? I would be willing to bet that the pump while may be rated at 1250 gph with no head once the fittings and pipe standing head restrictions are added up your not moving anything near 1250 gph. And this I would definitely take my word on given my professional background. But again you don't have to.

Drew