• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cats gone wild!

mchambers

Former CCA member
My Coradoras sp. C123 have laid eggs four times in last two months. The first time, I moved the eggs into a smaller tank by themselves, but never found any fry.

The last time they spawned, in 2012, the eggs that were moved didn't hatch, but the ones I left in the tank did, so on the second try, when they left 50 or so eggs, on the glass, I emptied all the adult fish out of the tank (kind of ridiculous, since it is a 30 gallon tank). Today, I saw one baby in that tank, about a quarter inch or so, so I'm thinking that maybe there's a bunch of babies under the driftwood and leaves.

Eight days ago, I found more C123 eggs, probably another 50, on the sides of a 12 gallon tank, where I had dumped the parents from the 30 gallon. I moved the parents into a 10 gallon, with three green laser corydoras. Today, while doing water changes, I realized that the sides of the tank were covered with more than 100 eggs.

So, of course, I moved all the adult fish yet again, this time back into the 30, on the theory that the fry are big enough to not get eaten.

Interestingly, I have yet to hear of anyone else breeding these fish. Even at PlanetCatfish, I'm the only person who has submitted a breeding report.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=2356

Sure hope a bunch of fry survive.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Pics

2014-06-07125035.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2014-06-07125009.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
My females look ripe to bursting, but I haven't found any eggs. They're in with my left over melon barbs, which show interest in any cory spawning activity. I suspect a change of locale might see a successful C123 spawn.

Blaise

mchambers

Former CCA member
Yup

My females look ripe to bursting, but I haven't found any eggs. They're in with my left over melon barbs, which show interest in any cory spawning activity. I suspect a change of locale might see a successful C123 spawn.

Blaise
I find tank moves to be the most reliable, but also most difficult, trigger.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I saw another baby in the 30 gallon, where there were eggs about a month ago. I'm not sure how many fry survived there, but in the 12 gallon cube, where I saw eggs two weeks ago, I can see several tiny fry, including this one (another Olloclip photo):
F3929713-35DE-477D-BF34-983258FB8510.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The 10 gallon tank where I saw eggs eight days ago is harder to see into, and I expect that any fry are tiny and hiding, but maybe by next week I'll see fry in there too.

Last edited:

mchambers

Former CCA member
More Wildness!

Saw some tiny cory fry zipping around the 10 gallon last night. Also, in a community 30 gallon, I saw this:

C7C75B8B-1528-4F9C-B358-2D3F546EB3DB.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The eggs belong either to some Gold Laser Corydoras or some Corydoras Weitzmani. (The tank has both species, because I'm running out of room, with three tanks temporarily devoted to cory fry.) There also were traces of eggs that seem to have been eated, probably by the Weitzmani that were cruising the glass. I moved these eggs into the 10 gallon with the tiny c123 fry and am hoping for the best.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Fingers

How exactly did you remove the eggs from the glass?

Drew
I just rolled them off with my fingers. For most Corydoras eggs, this works just fine, as they are pretty hard and tough. For some reason, when I have done this with the C123 eggs, they have not successfully hatched. The eggs I moved yesterday were either Gold Laser or Weitzmani, and the eggs were pretty big and solid.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Gold Laser or weitzmani--either way, it's a win! If weitzmani, please put me down for some.

Blaise