• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Photos - Biotoecus opercularis and others

Becca

Members
I spent some time playing with the camera yesterday. None of the photos actually do the fish justice, but hey, I tried!

_MG_8259.jpg

_MG_8265.jpg

_MG_8207.jpg

_MG_8229.jpg

_MG_8241.jpg

_MG_8242.jpg

_MG_8239.jpg

_MG_8305.jpg

_MG_8313.jpg

_MG_8281.jpg

Becca

Members
Canon rebel on full manual. I am not good with cameras, but I llayed with it to get a larger aperture and faster shutter speed. I don't recall if there was a "sweet spot."

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Becca

Members
A rebel is a digital SLR... My phone doesn't take good pictures either.

carl_d_c

Members
It's a shame, cause my phone takes great pictures at other times, maybe I should get one of my kids to show me how to use it properly!

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I think they look pretty good. I don't get much chance to take pics with a good camera. Usually, it's with my tablet or my old dumbphone.

Becca

Members
I think they look pretty good. I don't get much chance to take pics with a good camera. Usually, it's with my tablet or my old dumbphone.

Yeah, I usually use my phone, too.

Spine

Members
I think you had the camera on great picture setting, good job! That's a hard fish to photograph they have very reflective scales. Btw I wish I had some bio's they are hard to find and don't ship well, it's a up hill battle from the moment you order them, lol. Nice looking fish

Becca

Members
I think you had the camera on great picture setting, good job! That's a hard fish to photograph they have very reflective scales. Btw I wish I had some bio's they are hard to find and don't ship well, it's a up hill battle from the moment you order them, lol. Nice looking fish

Kevin - I got mine from Batfish and am fairly certain they were captive bred. I made a point of going out and getting them the day they arrived so they wouldn't have to acclimate more than once and had a tank set up at 86 degrees, with two air-driven filters plus a bubble wall turned up full blast in the back (created a really strong current). They took blackworms immediately and flake within the first week. That said, they sold out when I ordered them (had ordered 6, got the last 2, that fortunately appear to be a pair). I haven't had any trouble with them, but they are definitely particular about their conditions.

I do think Mark Denaro has some at his store in PA/NJ.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Wow. Nice job on getting the set-up right. It's weird to see how picky some fish can be when it comes to water quality and parameters. I had Ruby Green Haps shipped in the winter and the shipping got messed up by a national chain. Turns out it was not their fault, but I digress. When I got to them, the bag was so cold, I swear it was 50 degrees or maybe even less. I kept them inbetween my legs with the heat on blast for the 20 minute ride home and then float acclimated them for a while (30 plus minutes). I then put them in a breeder box and performed fishy CPR by moving their gills with the current of the water, one fish at a time. There were 11 in the bag, I saved 10. They were only 1 1/2 inches long. Their problem was cold water and lack of oxygen, not water quality, but I feel you.

Becca

Members
Wow. Nice job on getting the set-up right. It's weird to see how picky some fish can be when it comes to water quality and parameters. I had Ruby Green Haps shipped in the winter and the shipping got messed up by a national chain. Turns out it was not their fault, but I digress. When I got to them, the bag was so cold, I swear it was 50 degrees or maybe even less. I kept them inbetween my legs with the heat on blast for the 20 minute ride home and then float acclimated them for a while (30 plus minutes). I then put them in a breeder box and performed fishy CPR by moving their gills with the current of the water, one fish at a time. There were 11 in the bag, I saved 10. They were only 1 1/2 inches long. Their problem was cold water and lack of oxygen, not water quality, but I feel you.

I've done fish "CPR" like that before, actually.

The other thing I did with the Biotoecus was 100% rain water in the tank and plenty of wood and dried leaves. I'm doing some tap in water changes now, but I keep a close eye on them after changes.

I was lucky, too, to have good advice from the sales person. He knows my set-ups and tells me when a fish is not something I'm prepared to handle. I fretted over whether to try these guys for a few months because of both their price and relative sensitivity.

I was really fortunate to have a chance to obtain these fish and to have good guidance in my purchase.

Terri

CCA Members
Bio's

Kev,
Tangled Up in Cichlids had some in just last month. They're going to be @ Aquamania all weekend. You should contact Jeff & see if he can get more in to bring to the con. He's trying to get some Hassar sp. "Mouse-cats" in for me, if they show up o a list, plus bringing me some Laetacara. Gotta say, TUIC is an awesome supporter!:happy0158:
Terri