• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Anyone willing to swing by and strip a peacock for me?

She's holding with apparently hybrid fry that I now have to cull. I don't know how to strip her. Any of my local buds able to swing by and give me a hand?

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Man I would say let her spit donate just so she knows how. If your still determined I would say use a twist tie in the shape of a lollipop then use that to prop her hours open while gentile massaging her throat from stomach to mouth. I bet someone will be more than happy to help.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

I'm in Gaithersburg. I want to put her in with the rest of the colony and need the tank she's in. I can't have her spit in the colony tank and get those fry mixed in with the pure ones being carried by another female, thus she is separated.

zackcrack00

Members
I will talk to my mom tomorrow, but if I can't:

1) place the female in a container or something that you can fit both of your hands in (specimen containers are perfect)
2) take a toothpick and snap it in half
3) gently but firmly grasp the female fish, careful not to cover her gills
4) take the toothpick and hold it with your thumb and index finger, one on each end
5) put the toothpick on her bottom lip ad gently pull down until she looks like she's yawning, this is when her mouth is fully open
6) either A) gently stroke her throat in a come here motion toward the open mouth, or B) bob her up and down, or C) a combination of both (this is what I do)
7) after every 15-30 seconds or so of doing this, let the female go into the container so she can regain her composure
8) repeat steps 3-6
9) when you haven't gotten any fry for a few times, take her out I the water and look into we mouth. You will be able to see small fry or eggs.
10) do with the fry/eggs what you must.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I will talk to my mom tomorrow, but if I can't:

1) place the female in a container or something that you can fit both of your hands in (specimen containers are perfect)
2) take a toothpick and snap it in half
3) gently but firmly grasp the female fish, careful not to cover her gills
4) take the toothpick and hold it with your thumb and index finger, one on each end
5) put the toothpick on her bottom lip ad gently pull down until she looks like she's yawning, this is when her mouth is fully open
6) either A) gently stroke her throat in a come here motion toward the open mouth, or B) bob her up and down, or C) a combination of both (this is what I do)
7) after every 15-30 seconds or so of doing this, let the female go into the container so she can regain her composure
8) repeat steps 3-6
9) when you haven't gotten any fry for a few times, take her out I the water and look into we mouth. You will be able to see small fry or eggs.
10) do with the fry/eggs what you must.

Well put sir

Ading522

Members
Very good step-by-step instructions.. But then, if holly still wants someone to come help, depending on what fish it is, I could probably swing by for dibs on fry? :) hehe

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Zach -- you are so sweet.

I bit the bullet this morning and did it myself. No, it was not hard, but I found it very heartbreaking. I had to euthanize the clearly viable fry as their parentage was uncertain. I'm writing a separate thread on that . . . :(

Mama seems no worse for wear and now in with the rest of the colony. The next time she holds, it will be to help a CARES fish population :). . .

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Sorry Holly - after I read the initial post, I was going to stop by on the way home from work....