• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Check Out My New Red Festae Video!

ricksnipe

Members
Hey Family,

I decided to do a video series on my Red festaes. I plan on sharing with you all the grow out process, pairing process, behavior and hopefully breeding (one day). I plan on doing a species profile video here soon. Here is my first video, more to come!!! LIKE, COMMENT, SUBSCRIBE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vxDd7QB2LI

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Cute little guys. Good luck growing them out.

I also picked up four juveniles about 3 month ago and are giving them a shot. First time for me in keeping festae. So far, so good, but they are a bit rough on one another.

lkelly

Members
Suggestion on shooting videos with your phone - turn it 90 degrees so that the aspect ratio is wider than it is tall. You'll get a lot more coverage of the tank and you don't end up with huge areas when sharing it on youtube.

spazmattik

Members
good luck to both of you. I have tried juvies twice now and failed. I will try again one day when I have room!

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Good luck Rick and Jon!
They are great fish but whenever I tried to grow out a few, I'd always end up with one male that killed the rest.

ricksnipe

Members
Its always good to have a decent size tank with multiple hiding spots so that they can establish their own territories. Also you want to start with a group of 6-8. I bought 2 small clay pots (which I hate) and my daughters and I made cave out of pvc pipe and silicone and some gravel inside my tank. (which came out perfect and worked out great)

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Its always good to have a decent size tank with multiple hiding spots so that they can establish their own territories. Also you want to start with a group of 6-8. I bought 2 small clay pots (which I hate) and my daughters and I made cave out of pvc pipe and silicone and some gravel inside my tank. (which came out perfect and worked out great)

nice, every time I tried I'd get a group of 6 1-2" each and by the time they were 4", I'd always only have one. If I ever try it again I'll defenitely have more hiding spots, more flow, and some dithers

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I started my group out in a 29 with some convict grow outs. The peace didn't last to long, as one started to grow faster than the others and became quite aggressive in the small tank (and I actually think it is a female based on a large black blotch in the dorsal fin).

Initially, I moved the larger female in to a 75 with some amphilophus grow outs (red isletas that I picked up from Matt in one of the club auctions). About a month ago, I moved the other 3 into the tank. All seems to be well, for now, although the larger female is still rough on the others. The amphilophus are no push overs, so there is some balance in the tank. I've got lots of décor in the tank to break line of sight and give the smaller ones a place to hide.

AquaStudent

Members
Suggestion on shooting videos with your phone - turn it 90 degrees so that the aspect ratio is wider than it is tall. You'll get a lot more coverage of the tank and you don't end up with huge areas when sharing it on youtube.

+1

Will be neat to watch these guys and gals to grow up.

ricksnipe

Members
Im going to post a video tomorrow (hopefully) Its going to be a profile video explaining the demographics of the species

Spine

Members
I had a group of five. Two males and three female. They stayed together in a 125g and none got killed,lol. Once they started spawning I pulled everyone everyone but the pair once they laid eggs. I lost two female when I didn't separate them once the fry where free swimming. even though I had dithers both males took out different female within a day or two of the fry free swimming:angry:. Lesson learned don't trust young spawning Festea together.