• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Robin, the henlei hybrid stingray

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Well, there where a few people on MFK who said he might be sick but I think it might've been a compination of the 2 that killed him because there where lots of bite marks on him and I know my smaller stingray couldnt've done it and the only other fish in the tank was the giant gourami

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I wouldn't necessarily equate bit marks to aggression/killing. I've had plenty of dead fish get eaten on after they die, and the deaths were not from aggression. I'd give Beltway a call and see if they will do anything for you. Your first post said it was skinny...

Thanks, right now he's about 10" long (tip to end of tail)

Thanks, I've tried but they said it would be an eye sore
Maybe they'll let me put one in the fish room :)

I had a 500gl, 8' diameter swimming pool in my basement 35+ years ago filled with red & red ob zebras when they first came in.. My wife and friends thought I was crazy! Of course I am.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I wouldn't necessarily equate bit marks to aggression/killing. I've had plenty of dead fish get eaten on after they die, and the deaths were not from aggression. I'd give Beltway a call and see if they will do anything for you. Your first post said it was skinny...
My mom texted me in the middle of the day saying she saw him getting bit. I called beltway and they said they wouldn't refund the price
Ah, man... that sucks. Sorry to hear that man.

-Rich

So sorry too hear that, I hadn't read all the way down b/4 my last post.
He looked really cool!

Thanks, I'll probably be getting a marble with the rest of my birthday money And my parents agreed to pay for part of it so I'm pretty excited

creepyoldguy

Members
You're lucky to have people buy you rays. They're a very expensive to own. First I'd initial cost and then comes their food. Not so sure I'd be rushing right out to buy a marble right away while still having the gourami that is believed to have killed your hen. Don't buy a ray until you see jt it and make sure the base of the tail has some fat.

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
You're lucky to have people buy you rays. They're a very expensive to own. First I'd initial cost and then comes their food. Not so sure I'd be rushing right out to buy a marble right away while still having the gourami that is believed to have killed your hen. Don't buy a ray until you see jt it and make sure the base of the tail has some fat.

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Yah, I still have to pay for most or half of it but Im very thankful to have my parents pitch in.
I have moved the giant gourami to a different tank and did a water change on the tank robin was in just incase there was a nitrate or nitrite spike when he died.

blkmjk

Members
WOA that stinks... but I agree with creepyoldguy. I wouldn't purchase another ray until I was positive that the cause of death wasn't environment related. What are your parameters looking like now?
I still am not brave enough to take the financial plunge and get a ray yet. Was the Henlei reasonably priced at beltway?

Drew

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I checked the water params and they where all good but just incase I did a 25% water change. The ray was $300 so Im pretty pissed but for a henlei, thats not bad

blkmjk

Members
Yeah for a Henlei not bad at all. I haven't kept giant Gourmi before so I can't speak to their agression level but I wouldn't put rays with anything other than stuff that won't stress them... did the ray eat anything in your posession?

Drew

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Yes, he ate the head off of a silver side and ate some blackworms. Giant gouramis are very aggressive, defenitely the 2nd most aggressive fish I've kept (2nd only to my 18" lungfish)

Dana

Members
If you do set up a stock tank you can use a pond canaster filter on it. you can pick them up cheap on craigs list. there is one on southern md craigs list farm and garden section new in the box for $50 filter is loaded and has uv Dana