• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

MMB

zackcrack00

Members
Mixed Morph Breeding

So as many of you know, Metriaclima estherae comes in so many forms; OB, blueberry OB, Regular, Cherry, Albino, etc. What are your thoughts on keeping multiple morphs together and knowing full well they will spawn together? I think it's produce some cool fry that wouldn't be considered hybrids.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
The only problem I see is differentiating the fry. Once they are born it will be hard to tell exactly what kind they are so you'd have to wait a little while to see what they are before you sell them. Unless you have for example, all the ob are female and all the regular ones are male, then you dont have to wait for the fry to grow up to tell what they are.

dogofwar

CCA Members
A couple of thoughts:

Back in the day, nearly all zebra-ish mbuna were "Pseudotropheus zebra"...they're now a variety of different species... or geographic variants of a species... but all "different". Whether they're technically hybrids or not (today) matters less, in my mind at least, as to whether they're wild-type fish (which they won't be).

There are no shortage of random mbuna of questionable provenance out there today. Same with peacocks and lots of other cichlids. Interesting colors or not (and most of the offspring will not be interesting), they'll be of little value (although I've seen stranger things at local auctions than bags of random mbuna going for $25)...

If you're going to focus on developing a strain of fancy fish, be systematic about it. For example, Charles Clapsaddle has developed a variety of fancy peacock (and livebearer) variants methodically (not randomly).

Matt

Mixed Morph Breeding

So as many of you know, Metriaclima estherae comes in so many forms; OB, blueberry OB, Regular, Cherry, Albino, etc. What are your thoughts on keeping multiple morphs together and knowing full well they will spawn together? I think it's produce some cool fry that wouldn't be considered hybrids.