• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Starting up again

Popal9800

Howdy all! I am Albert from staten island, ny. Ive been wanting to start my aquarium again after 20+ years "dry". So much is new since back then so while sorting through the info I found this site. So many choices now! Back then it was glass, dynaflo, ugf and a diatom for monthly maint... Now I still cant decide between acrylic and glass!!! (Prob glass due to price but, wow!). Then its what filter! But then again thats the fun of building my own aquatic world. I hope to learn about the advances and options that are different now. Thanks in advance to all the members that post and share what they know and experience learned through trial and error. Thank you again.

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome Albert. My wife is a 4th generation Staten Islander; I moved from Brooklyn to Staten Island when I got married in 1974. Lived in Midland Beach for a couple of years, then bought a home in Westerleigh. We've been living in MD since 1989 (hence the screen name xny1989). What part of SI are you from?

This is a great forum. Folks here are very very knowledgeable about a variety of topics and offer plenty of advice.

The 55 gallon tank in my avatar is acrylic, with rounded front corners. Got it, the stand, canopy, light fixture and HOB filter for $299 used off craigslist several years ago. I added a raffle-won canister filter several weeks ago in preparation for adding juvenile mbuna cichlids.

I guess it's best to determine what you're looking to display/breed, your budget and the time your willing to spend maintaining the tank(s). While I have two tanks, the 55 in my avatar and a 45, some members here have fishrooms with lots of tanks, large and small. So, consider what you want to do, and ask away!

Regards

Last edited: