• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

ID African cichlid peacocks please

Gio951

Members
Have these but don't really know if they're hybrids. Help ID please

uploadfromtaptalk1413587344143.jpguploadfromtaptalk1413587531293.jpguploadfromtaptalk1413587361878.jpguploadfromtaptalk1413587379117.jpguploadfromtaptalk1413587452103.jpguploadfromtaptalk1413587418581.jpguploadfromtaptalk1413587403046.jpguploadfromtaptalk1413587475629.jpguploadfromtaptalk1413587586701.jpg

Sent from my LGLS740 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1413587344143.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1413587361878.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1413587379117.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1413587403046.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1413587418581.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1413587452103.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1413587475629.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1413587531293.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1413587586701.jpg

Gio951

Members
1&2 same fish 3&4 same fish 5-7 same fish and 8&9 same fish 4 fishes in total

Gio951

Members
Which ones are the ones your saying? There's 4 different fish but thanks for the reply

Tooz100

Members
Fish 1 lookalike a ruby fish 3 looks like a baenschi or benga both look like hybrids as their barring is a bit dodgy. The last fish I would say is an otter point jacobfriebergi . In my opinion ?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dogofwar

CCA Members
It's simply not possible to know with any certainty. People can guess and postulate but it's best to assume that they're mixed peacocks of unknown provenance.

Matt

Tooz100

Members
Matt! That doesn't really help the guy who's asking ! All we are doing is offering an opinion and that is what these forums are generally all about. We all have different levels of experience with Malawi cichlids and it's good to share our knowledge. I find your comment a bit offensive

jonclark96

Past CCA President
That's the problem. Folks will guess at what a fish is and if they ever pass it along, the new owner will take them on their word. If you are just looking at pretty fish, no big deal. If you are trying to breed the fish, and breed them true, then you cannot say with certainty what they are.

Sorry you are offended, but Matt is spot on. If you buy a fish from a "mixed peacock" tank at a LFS, then that is exactly what you have. The OP already suspects that they are hybrids, and looking at a few pictures on the internet shouldn't change his opinion, especially not with fish that hybridize as easily as peacocks.

zackcrack00

Members
Matt! That doesn't really help the guy who's asking ! All we are doing is offering an opinion and that is what these forums are generally all about. We all have different levels of experience with Malawi cichlids and it's good to share our knowledge. I find your comment a bit offensive

Matt's comment is dead-on accurate. You can never be sure, especially when all the fish in that genus are crossbred constantly with each other.

Tooz100

Members
Understood guys ! But how can we ever get any idea of what our malawi's are ! If everyone just say's ... Hybrid ! I agree that the op's fish are hybrids but they do have characteristics of certain genus

Just my .02

As a Wet behind the ear new comer in this vast multifishverse that is called Cichlids, I have to agree with most of the other posters Tooz100. To answer your question on how can we get an idea of what our fish are? Become more smarter hobbist, research before buying, ask questions, buy from a well known breeder and research after buying.

Not trying to be a smarta** but in your response you even mentioned they could be Hybrid, I am saying this to say when I jumped into this hobby I jumped in not knowing how deep the water was and ended up with a tank full of fish and didn't know what I was doing. Thanks to a lot of CCA members ( like yourself and other who posted replies to help the OP) you all pointed me in the right direction and gave me some GREAT advise.

Do I know every single detail about every fish in my five tanks? No (hell I'm still having problems learning the scientific names, let alone pronouncing them :confused:. But I read these forums and I ask a lot of questions and I now buy my fish from board members who I feel comfortable with knowing they can tell me something about the fish I just brought from them. Sorry for the long winded response at 5 something in the morning but as I was reading the post and noticed everyone was trying to help as best they can and you were not satisfied with one member's answer. By the way your cichlid is adorable.

Understood guys ! But how can we ever get any idea of what our malawi's are ! If everyone just say's ... Hybrid ! I agree that the op's fish are hybrids but they do have characteristics of certain genus

Last edited: