• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

April PotM Winner

WendyFish

Members
What a close contest for much of this month! It was great to see so many excellent entries.

And the winner of the competitive field...

Congratulations, Christine (chriscoli)!

chriscoli

Administrator
I think it's anomala but I'd welcome any suggestions otherwise. I got them from Sam.....

Sam? What are they?

mchambers

Former CCA member
Pretty sure they are aureocephalus. I got mine from Sam, too, and they look the same.

Sam got some anomala at the PVAS all-day auction last month, but I don't think even he can breed them that quickly.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Dwarfs rock

Pretty sure they are aureocephalus.

That they be. What'd we win? :D

Sam got some anomala at the PVAS all-day auction last month, but I don't think even he can breed them that quickly.

Non-viable genetic match even if the shes were my type to say nothing of forlorn hybrids, social and scientific precedents notwithstanding.

Thanks for the prompt- they'll get their own 30 after next week's meeting and will see what else can be done to encourage them. Seem a little more tightly wrapped than the aureocephalus, females appear larger and males more silvery/iridescent. Really need a rack of 20s for these and Corydoras/Apisto harem projects but have no more space. Of course if someone wants five adult Betta patoti I could repurpose my 33 - no idea/guarantee on gender but they look/act like dragons and might be considered a mellow, poor man's version of a bichir - grow-outs from a spawn that took place in an 8-gallon bio-cube would make for a perpetually entertaining 20 or 29, more so if one had a supply of small feeders. Currently living dynamically with five orange chromides.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Oops

On a lark went to check on the anomala - saw a group of about a dozen free-swimming fry with one of the females right off the bat. How cool is that? Male and 2-3 females in a 10 gallon tank filled with oak leaves, Java moss and water sprite. Small group but the fry are already decent-sized so they've made it this far off naturally occurring micro-forage and in spite of predation from adult tankmates. Good for a momentary grin anyway...

:party0007:

Greengirl

Members
On a lark went to check on the anomala - saw a group of about a dozen free-swimming fry with one of the females right off the bat. How cool is that? Male and 2-3 females in a 10 gallon tank filled with oak leaves, Java moss and water sprite. Small group but the fry are already decent-sized so they've made it this far off naturally occurring micro-forage and in spite of predation from adult tankmates. Good for a momentary grin anyway...

Woohoo! Congrats on the surprise!

mchambers

Former CCA member
Once again

you, or rather your fish, have proven me wrong. Luckily, I've been wrong many times, so it's not a big shock.

Seriously, that's great. RO water or tap?