• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Just Got A New Fish (pictures)

Breezyod

Members
Came home today to a surprise in my tank. Mom was out today and apparently got me a fish. I think it's a Jack Dempsey but do I have a problem now if it is one? I was planning on stocking this tank with Africans, is it possible for this fish to live with Africans? Here are some pics of him.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1368040472.283998.jpg

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
How big is your tank? Though it's not something I'd do personally, I've seen dempseys in with larger Malawi haps before. It should work for a while - given the right tank space.

Breezyod

Members
How big is your tank? Though it's not something I'd do personally, I've seen dempseys in with larger Malawi haps before. It should work for a while - given the right tank space.

It's a 45 gallon but I plan on getting a bigger tank within the year and my fish get to big before then I am going to give them to a store near me or maybe trade them for smaller fish

Breezyod

Members
I would HATE it if my mom did that to me!!! She doesn't even know what kind of fish I have, just that they're red and black, but she knows I have neons, and 3 guppy-gups.

Could be worse she could have got me a goldfish, but I am hoping that this guy does well with my Africans I want to get. He is really nice looking though.

Breezyod

Members
I've always kept a jack Dempsey in the tank with my Africans. Over 20 years now. Never a problem.

I guess each fish has a personality I don't have a problem with my jack with any of the other Africans just this one and I just don't want him stressing it out or any others. Any pics of your jack and tank?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I've always kept a jack Dempsey in the tank with my Africans. Over 20 years now. Never a problem.

It's not like the fish will burst into flames if one mixes New World and Old World cichlids, it just isn't optimal for one of the fish or the other. It is generally accepted within the hobby that the fish are better kept in separate tanks.

dshaffer3

Members
I guess each fish has a personality I don't have a problem with my jack with any of the other Africans just this one and I just don't want him stressing it out or any others. Any pics of your jack and tank?

I can't get a pic on my reply. Look in my profile at my pics. I'm putting some on now.

dshaffer3

Members
They seem to act more like Haps than anything else. In addition to the Jack, I also always keep a fire mouth and a convict.