• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Save Malawi fish by saving Malawi children

Jeff George

Members
In another thread, we've been discussing how to save rift lake cichlids threatened by over-collection for the aquarium trade. We forget that Malawi is literally one of the five poorest countries in the world, and that people there live on a couple of dollars A DAY at most. One of the best ways to protect Malawi fish, I think, is to help the people of Malawi live better lives, especially in the long term.

K.I.N.D. - Kids In Need of Desks - is an effort led by UNICEF and Lawrence O'Donnell of MSNBC to hire Malawian craftsmen to build school desks for use by Malawian children in Malawian schools. For $65, you pay a worker in Malawi to build a desk that will serve 2 or 3 children a day for many years. This infuses the Malawian economy with much-needed wealth and feeds the families of the workers who make the desks, while improving educational outcomes for a generation of Malawian school children.

Regardless of how you may feel about MSNBC or Lawrence O'Donnell, this is a brilliant project that uses the same $65 to create value several times over. It's a much more effective way to build up Malawi than just air-lifting in food - not that that would hurt. I strongly encourage anyone who has an interest in the fish of Lake Malawi to also take an interest in her people.

K.I.N.D FAQ