• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

African Side Neck Turtle

Cleanwater

Members
It is an aquatic turtle that rarely free swims but instead prefers to hang out in a cave below the water line. I keep the water about 72 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit. It will eat fish less than 2 inches long if it can get a hold of them. It's an ambush predator remaining motionless, and fish think it's a stone and swim by and it grabs them. I usually feed it a commercial turtle food but sometimes I'll give it inexpensive guppies.

It likes to bask under a light on a rock from time to time. And should have some thing above the water line to climb on. It can stay submerged for a very long time without needing to put it's nose at the surface for air.

It's fairly messy. In terms of water changes, cleaning, and filtration it's kind of like keeping an Oscar.

The turtle is currently about the size of my palm but I've seen them get bigger. It resides in a 29 gallon tank, bigger would be preferable.

It definitely has personality and seems to recognize me when I come into the room and it will often amble up to the front glass and wait for me to feed it.