• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Elephant Nose Fish

ann0087

Members
Does anyone have any experience keeping these? My husband bought some on an impulse two weeks ago. Initially they were in a community tank, but after one disappeared completely (could mollies and clown loaches eat them??) we moved them to their own 55 using cycled filters and media, etc. I'm looking for any tips on how to set up a tank, what they like, etc. Thanks!

Becca

Members
Check with Josh (JLW, Batfish Aquatics) he is pretty knowledgeable in regards to mormyrids or whatever they're called...

They are sensitive to stress and can easily starve to death in an active tank. Make sure they've got places to hide. They don't always handle moving well. Something like Kordon Fish Protector would be a good thing to add to the water as a precaution. Try giving them some live blackworms, too, to fatten them up.

ann0087

Members
Thank you. I think maybe fish agression might be a problem too.. when we bought them, the store only had 4, and I've read that it's recommended they be kept in groups of at least 5 or more to avoid fighting. I came home last night to find one of them dead in the tank looking really beat up :( It's too bad all the fish I think are cute are so aggressive, eek.

JLW

CCA Members
I love Elephantnose fish. They're a mormyrid, like the black ghost knife or the 'baby whale' fish, which means they've got a radar-like system of detecting things in the water. Mormyrids should generally never be mixed -- though, as you mentioned, you can keep a BIG group of them in a BIG tank.

The elephantnoses are probably the best mormyrid out there for most aquariums. Depending on species, they don't get particularly big, they're not aggressive, they're not fish eaters, and ... they don't hide all the time. They should be kept over a fine gravel or sand of some sort, as they can damage their noses on rough gravel. Feeding can be tricky at first -- sinking pellets, live blackworms, etc. Usually, they'll quickly learn to eat other foods, and providing you aren't feeding exclusively floating foods, they'll do just fine. They'll even eat flakes (add them to the water column, do not toss on top!).

One other big word of warning. They prefer dark tanks, and need shady areas to escape the light. They'll stress to death in a brightly lit tank. You can keep them in a brightly lit, planted tank, provided they have things like large plants, rootwood, etc., to shelter under -- just make sure you feed them after the tank lights are out.

JW