• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Non Fish Pictures

WendyFish

Members
I was just in Greece-Turkey for 11 days and thought I'd share a few of the pictures I liked the best. This was my first serious vacation rocking my DSLR & CS5 so I was psyched about it. :D

I went completely nerd on it and rented a 70-200mm lens for the trip, and I lugged all 4lbs of that sucker everyplace. We were on a cruise so it was nice for taking some pictures from the ship, and worthwhile for the hilltop pics from the acropolis. After we got home I also got to sit on the couch and take pics of my fish from there. Lazy man's paradise. :animal0028:

Athens...
Acropolis18.jpg

Athens4.jpg

Delos, Greece...
Delos14.jpg

Mykonos, Greece...
Mykonos3.jpg

Santorini, Greece...
Santorini6.jpg

Santorini8.jpg

Santorini9.jpg

Santorini10.jpg

Ephesus, Turkey...
Ephesus9.jpg

Istanbul...
Istanbul1.jpg

Chora_13.jpg

HaghiaSophia5.jpg

Istanbul10.jpg

WendyFish

Members
WOW, Fantastic pics!!! So, how'd you like the lens?
Thanks!

The telephoto was sensational. The stabilization on it is so good I could hand shoot down to, say 1/50 or so, at 200mm and it was still perfectly crisp. Totally exceptional performance, and I liked the image quality. The weight is a PITA, and it's situational enough that I would probably continue to rent it once a year or something, but I'm glad I did it.

ddavila06

Members
great photos! how lucky@!!! the terrain it reminds me of my hometown, mendoza argentina, dry and desert like=) .

mchambers

Former CCA member
Seriously?

No report on the LFS in Istanbul? Or did you post that in the other thread?

Seriously, nice pictures. Greece is good and Turkey is amazing.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I've always wanted to go to Turkey.

Spent a few weeks in Greece after college. It's an amazing place and would highly recommend it: history, chill on the beach, party until 7AM(!), pretty inexpensive, especially a bit off the beaten path. I think that Athens was my least favorite place...not the friendliest people. But everywhere else was amazing!

What was your itinerary?

I think the Euro is relatively weak vs. the dollar right now...

Matt

fischfan13

Banned
I've always wanted to go to Turkey.

Spent a few weeks in Greece after college. It's an amazing place and would highly recommend it: history, chill on the beach, party until 7AM(!), pretty inexpensive, especially a bit off the beaten path. I think that Athens was my least favorite place...not the friendliest people. But everywhere else was amazing!

What was your itinerary?

I think the Euro is relatively weak vs. the dollar right now...

Matt

Interesting you would say that, Matt.
I was having this conversation the other day with someone about these pics and about Greece. Not being a world traveler, I barely ever leave the East Coast, I have to go on hearsay.
I have been told that some of Greece is not American-friendly.
I am wondering if Wendy and her husband encountered any of that.

WendyFish

Members
We found Athens to be fine -- but we largely kept to what are probably the more touristy areas, so that's not too surprising. I know in some other parts of the world when we have tried to get more off the beaten path to "real" restaurants, etc., we have experienced varying levels of hospitality but in Athens I couldn't say.

I have heard that the mainland of Greece is also really great, where else did you go Matt?

The itinerary was:
2 days in Athens pre-cruise
Cruise to:
Delos, Greece
Mykonos, Greece
Santorini, Greece
Crete, Greece
Rhodes, Greece
Kusadasi / Ephesus, Turkey
Istanbul

Istanbul might be my favorite place in the world, of those I have been. We spent a week there several years ago. It's beautiful, the food is great, there is something about it that resonates with me. (Though I'm terrified of shopping there; I feel like a sheep wandering into a wolf's den and I'm pretty sure I always leave too much money behind.) I feel that the true barometer of a place for me is how you feel the second time; that has been the case for me in Madrid (like), Barcelona (not a fan), and I can't describe the feeling of sailing up the Bosphorus into Istanbul the rainy morning of our trip. Loved it.