• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Catfish Convention

C

Chuck & Veronica

I'm the registration chair for the Catfish Convention, so if anyone has any questions...

Here's one from a fellow Cichlid fanatic

QUESTION (4/24/06):
I got a question for you..... are they getting wilds shipped in again this year?

ANSWER:
You bet! There will be a great variety of FW fish and plants at the All-Aquarium Catfish Convention 2006. Arrangements are being made to have some fish imported exclusively for the auction that will be held at the convention. In 2004, these fish were all varieties of freshwater fish, and were not limited to catfish. And we plan to have even more non-Catfish fish there this year!

The Fish Show is an all-species Fish Show too! In 2004, there were over 220 entries in the fish show and competition. Gerry Hoffman, chairman of the Fish Show does a tremendous job of organizing, setting up, having judged and displayed many varieties of fish.

The All Freshwater-Species Show has five freshwater classes, in addition to a catch-all category for everything else:

Class I: Livebearers
Class II: Killifishes
Class III: Anabantids
Class IV: Cichlids
Class V: Goldfish and Koi
Class VI: All Other Freshwater Fishes
Class VII: Photography, Arts and Crafts

And there are three awards that all freshwater, not-catfish fish are eligible to win:

* Best Freshwater Fish in Show (Classes I-VI eligible)
* Reserve Freshwater Fish in Show (Classes I-VI eligible)
* People’s Choice Award (all fish entries eligible)

Even though the speakers are on various species of Catfish, they have all kinds of fish. With our initial registration we have attendees from 13 States and 4 countries coming. We expect over 200 in attendance. There will be much at the Catfish Convention that will include other kinds of fish, and you will gain much information from everyone there.

Be sure to register while the low $30 early-registration fee is in effect! Everyone can register online.

See you in October!

Chuck

C

Chuck & Veronica

Less than 4 months
[/b]

It should be noted as well that the price of registration will rise after July. Until then, there is a special, early registration price. So register before the end of July!

I've heard that the hospitality night that the CCA will be sponsoring is going to be especially awesome and NOT to be missed! :D

Chuck

C

Chuck & Veronica

<span style="font-family:Verdana"><span style="font-family:palatino Linotype">Registration Q&A #4</span></span></span>

Question on 6/29:

I was wondering if someone could advise me as to the cost of the Catfish Convention Field Trips so that I can include it in the money order with the money for our convention tickets. We have already reserved our room at the hotel and are anxious to send in our money before the end of July.

<span style="color:#000099">ANSWER:

Excellent question! With the end of July, so ends the special, early-registration discount for the All-Aquarium Catfish Convention! Now is the time to register!

There will be two Field Trips:

Field Trip One: Collecting Native Fishes

This field trip is an opportunity to collect and observe some of the fishes local to the Central Maryland/Washington, DC metro area. The collection sites are located within ten miles of the convention hotel. Previous collections at these locations have produced tadpole madtoms, rosyside dace, blacknose dace, fantail darters, and tessellated darters. Also observed in these spots are various sucker, sculpin, sunfish and trout species. At least two technical advisors including a representative of the North American Native Fishes Association (NANFA) will be on hand to assist in identification of any specimens collected. This collection trip is under the auspices of a scientific collecting permit obtained for the purpose of observing local aquatic fauna. The leaders of this trip will have final say on permanent removal of any specimens collected. Collection methods include dip nets and seines. Angling is not permitted at these locations.

Trip Cost: $20.00. This fee covers the cost of collection permit, collection equipment and reimburses volunteer drivers to the collection sites. Depart, 9:00am from the convention hotel, October 20, 2006.

Bring cash for lunch at local restaurants. Availability of the field trip will be limited to a manageable group of collectors.

Field Trip Two: Catfishes at the Smithsonian

A motor coach will bring a group of conventioneers to the heart of Washington, DC. The first stop is at the Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of Natural History. Dr. Stanley Weitzman, Curator of Fishes, and Marilyn Weitzman, Research Associate, will accompany the group on a private tour of the Division of Fishes, a research facility inside the museum. The collections, library and research offices are available to the group as well as the opportunity to discuss the science of ichthyology with these renowned scientists. Information about the Division of Fishes can be found at: http://www.nmnh.si.edu/vert/fishes/

The second stop is the Amazonia exhibit at the Smithsonian Institution’s National Zoological Park. Staff biologists and keepers will be on hand to discuss the exhibits, the animals on display and the challenges of keeping large-scale aquatic displays. Information about Amazonia can be found at: http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/Amazonia/

Trip Cost: $35.00. This fee covers the cost of the bus rental.
Depart, 9:00am from the convention hotel, October 20, 2006.
Bring cash for lunch at museum cafeterias. Availability is limited.

Chuck, Registration Chair
Catfish Convention 2006

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I think today is the last day to take advantage of the early registration rate. Or was it yesterday?

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I know I keep posting about this.
But I was asked to.

Topic: Calling All Catfish Nuts!

Like Catfishes? Fancy plecos? Corys? Synos? Join more than 150 people just like you at the All-Aquarium Catfish Convention 2006! Here you will enjoy the finest speakers on catfish topics, see amazing specimens in the fish show, buy rare and unusual catfishes in an auction and from live fish vendors, and more!

The convention is October 22-24, 2006 in Laurel, Maryland (halfway between Baltimore and Washington, DC). See www.catfish2006.com for more information.

Time is running out! Reserve your spot today.

maddog10

Members
Remember the CCA is sponsoring the hospitality suite Saturday night (I guess it will be getting started about 11:00pm, Pat?). Don't forget to swing in if you are still at the hotel. Wear your CCA shirt if you have one, we want to get our name out there (more on that later). We want people to know about the club and how our membership supports the fish shows and events.