• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

T-bar Cichlids

chriscoli

Administrator
I recently picked up a group of 4 T-bar cichlids (Cryptoheros sajica). I've been doing a bit of reading on them. I believe I probably have 2 M and 2 F based on their appearance, they're about 2" long right now.

I'm seeing some conflicting information on them. Anyone keep these in the club? What are your experiences as far as tank size for adults and aggression levels?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Another species that I have been challenged to keep long term. They need more space than you'd think. Males will be rough on females in too small a tank. They are typical cave spawners.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

chriscoli

Administrator
Very interesting....that corresponds with some of what I was reading. I was planning on separating the two groups as soon as I saw any trouble. Right now they're in a 45 with some bigger but not as aggressive fish to finish growing out.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I was growing out a group of little ones in a 15g and recently moved a pair to a 2'x2'x1', where they bred almost immediately.

Pretty typical Cryptoheros / Convict-type in terms of behavior: good parents but can be rough on each other unless there's a perceived threat. I have mine alone in the tank except for a couple of grow out convicts. Add a divider on its side to the tank or another sight break and the two pairs will each set up their territories.

The pair that I separated had a bunch of fry until I has away on work travel for the week. They'll spawn again :)

Matt

chriscoli

Administrator
very cool. Thanks, Matt. I have to say.....I'm kind of getting hooked on these "convict type" cichlids.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Literally ever stream in Central America (that hasn't been poisoned by banana farming) has at least one convict-type fish (and many have a couple).

I find that they have all of the interesting behavior and looks of the bigger ones without the need for giant tanks!

Matt

very cool. Thanks, Matt. I have to say.....I'm kind of getting hooked on these "convict type" cichlids.

chriscoli

Administrator
Anyone have pics of their T-bars? I'm still trying to figure out which 2 of mine are male, and which 2 are female.

chriscoli

Administrator
Ok, so right now I have 4 little brown cichlids....two have pink lines in their dorsal and tail, two have a (quite amazing) bright orange/gold in their dorsal.

pink = male?
gold = female?

Where did you get the Sajica? I currently have Red Ceibal and Cryptoheros panamensis and love them. I want to expand my collection of convict like cichlid. Matt, are you bring some juvies for sale in AM3.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Donating a couple of types to the Saturday Night Rare Fish Auction...

Matt

Where did you get the Sajica? I currently have Red Ceibal and Cryptoheros panamensis and love them. I want to expand my collection of convict like cichlid. Matt, are you bring some juvies for sale in AM3.

spazmattik

Members
I was growing out a group of little ones in a 15g and recently moved a pair to a 2'x2'x1', where they bred almost immediately.

Pretty typical Cryptoheros / Convict-type in terms of behavior: good parents but can be rough on each other unless there's a perceived threat. I have mine alone in the tank except for a couple of grow out convicts. Add a divider on its side to the tank or another sight break and the two pairs will each set up their territories.

The pair that I separated had a bunch of fry until I has away on work travel for the week. They'll spawn again :)

Matt

Wow really? Is that the trio you got from me?

Spine

Members
I was surprised at how small mine were when the first spawned. T bar's used to be really common, I had a hard time finding them the last time I tried to get some.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I have a killer female sajica. She has now killed 5 males. I have #6 in another tank to ensure his survival. Sajica are my favorite convict-type.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chriscoli

Administrator
I got a pic of one of the pairs....The two pairs are really starting to strut their stuff in each other's direction. I'll be moving one of the pairs tonight, I think.

t-bar-8181.jpg