• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

90% of show tank dead this morning

frkyltn

Members
Sorry for your loss..as stated I'm sure we have all gone through this on some level. Makes me appreciate the time and money I put into this hobby even more. Hang in there!

cane

Members
Not sure about the water in Bowie. Does it have chloramines?

Aging won't remove those (which is kind of the point of chloramines vs. chlorine to disinfect drinking water)...

Matt

I do not know what is in the water but I have not had any problems. My 20gal has been set up for over a yr with no issues. Currently I have a 125gal/55gal/20gal/10gal

cane

Members
And what survived?

What's your filter maintenance routine like?

Matt

Filters are good with a great maintenance schedule.

I am not good with all the names but about 6 survived plus all my cory's.
2 O/B's, a nice size male jewel, a couple mbunas.

cane

Members
Also I found that one fish jumped out a tinny crack in the tank.
I do not know the names of all the fish but I will post some pics

Sorry for the loss. It sucks, for sure.

Based on your comments, I would suspect that there was an issue with the water change. Filters being off for 12 hours shouldn't wipe out the tank, but a 40% water change with chlorinated water (or perhaps chloramines) would wipe the tank out quickly, although I suspect you would have seen evidence of it rather quickly. How long after the water change did you watch the tank?

Apparently, the problem is not chlorine or chloramine, because the OP said that dechlor has been added, and the fish were fine for two hours after WC. Chlorine intoxication kills fish quickly, typically within 15 min.

I suspect the problem is the the canister filters. Canister filters are closed system that hide problem. A dirty canister can go anaerobic as short as 15 min power outage, and a relatively clean canister still can go anaerobic in about an hour. The dirtier the canister, the faster and more toxic gas it can produce when the power resumes. Many mysterious fish deaths were caused by anerobic canister filter (or anaerobic undergravel filters in the old days). But the evidence is gone when the water is tested because the running filter has returned normal.

I wonder when was the last the OP cleaned the canisters. A heavily stock cichlid tank can produce a lot of waste in a short time.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Really?

I suspect the problem is the the canister filters. Canister filters are closed system that hide problem. A dirty canister can go anaerobic as short as 15 min power outage, and a relatively clean canister still can go anaerobic in about an hour.
This is not my experience, and I've had overnight power failures, after which I simply resumed using the filters. Are you basing this on your experience? Or is there some authority for this proposition?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I am not good with all the names but about 6 survived plus all my cory's.
2 O/B's, a nice size male jewel, a couple mbunas.

****... Corys with mbuna and OB peacocks?

I'd think they'd end up chew toys....

This is not my experience, and I've had overnight power failures, after which I simply resumed using the filters. Are you basing this on your experience? Or is there some authority for this proposition?

I have not personally experienced the disaster, but it happened to my fish friends. It happened a lot more often than people realized because the evidence is gone when the water is tested after the disaster.

How bad it is depends on your set up. If you have other filters or power head to circulate the water, the toxic gases (sulfide and ammonia) coming out of the canister will be detoxify and you won't notice any problem. But if the canisters are your sole filters, you have no mitigation factor and the risk is high. It's common practice after power outage that canister filters should be opened up and cleaned as needed before returning to service. If you can smell sulfide when you open up a canister, you can tell that it has gone anaerobic.

cane

Members
Apparently, the problem is not chlorine or chloramine, because the OP said that dechlor has been added, and the fish were fine for two hours after WC. Chlorine intoxication kills fish quickly, typically within 15 min.

I suspect the problem is the the canister filters. Canister filters are closed system that hide problem. A dirty canister can go anaerobic as short as 15 min power outage, and a relatively clean canister still can go anaerobic in about an hour. The dirtier the canister, the faster and more toxic gas it can produce when the power resumes. Many mysterious fish deaths were caused by anerobic canister filter (or anaerobic undergravel filters in the old days). But the evidence is gone when the water is tested because the running filter has returned normal.

I wonder when was the last the OP cleaned the canisters. A heavily stock cichlid tank can produce a lot of waste in a short time.

One filter is 1.5months old and the other 3.5months old. And i do it the same way every time I change the water.

rich_one

Members
Dude, you have a legit mystery on your hands. You seem to have done and tested everything right... not sure what else to guess.

-Rich

Both of the canisters, then, are really "young" in my book. What did you have powering the tank previously?

Also 0 nitrates is suspicious. Even after a 40 percent change, you should have measureable nitrate.

Also, just curious, why do you turn your filters off when you do a water change? I never do, unless I'm going to clean a filter, which I certainly don't do on every water change.

cane

Members
Both of the canisters, then, are really "young" in my book. What did you have powering the tank previously?

Also 0 nitrates is suspicious. Even after a 40 percent change, you should have measureable nitrate.

Also, just curious, why do you turn your filters off when you do a water change? I never do, unless I'm going to clean a filter, which I certainly don't do on every water change.

One filter has all the media from another canister filter I replaced and the other had a few items from a hang on back filter I replaced. But these have been running for a while with no issues.

cane

Members
Originally Posted by hollyfish2000

It has just been a habit and they stop pumping when the level gets too low for them. Always thought it was best.