• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Magnolia Leaves in the Aquarium?

mchambers

Former CCA member
This morning on my way to the bus stop I noticed that a neighbor has a magnolia tree that is losing leaves in the regular course. The leaves are brown and firm, and somewhat resemble Indian almond leaves. I've done a little research using search engines and discovered that the general consensus seems to be that they are fine in the aquarium, as long as they are dry and not green and oozing sap.

I'm curious if anybody here has actual experience using magnolia leaves in their aquaria.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Interesting idea since they are so big.

I routinely use various types of oak leaves, collected after they are dried and crisp. Then soaked in a bucket of water before putting in a tank. A lot of people use oak leaves. But I think most any type of tree leaf could be used, the oak has more acids in them than other trees like maple or ash, which decompose quicker.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Yup

Interesting idea since they are so big.

I routinely use various types of oak leaves, collected after they are dried and crisp. Then soaked in a bucket of water before putting in a tank. A lot of people use oak leaves. But I think most any type of tree leaf could be used, the oak has more acids in them than other trees like maple or ash, which decompose quicker.
I use oak leaves, too. Some last longer than others. The magnolia leaves seem like they would have a similar effect.