• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

I guess a manatee is not a fish

mchambers

Former CCA member
Florida

Twenty feet from my backdoor these two were in the shallows rolling in the mud. I walked out on the dock and they ignored me. I could have jumped in with them.

Many of you know I moved here and I have been bad in updating the forum. Some of my Florida experience has been bad but some has also been good. So far I like it OK.

How cool is Manatees in your backyard? Oh ya, there are fish too but who has time to fish?

George
I used to see them all the time growing up in Jacksonville. About 10 years ago, we were back in Jacksonville at my father's house, fishing from the riverbank of the St. Johns River, when a manatee swam by. Very cool.

As far as jumping in with them goes, you want to be sure you're not doing that during mating season. That would not be cool.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Buddha nature

I've swum with them before - bit like hanging out with someone who's meditating when you're not. Even the babies seemed to be there just to bear witness. Not to say that it wasn't cool, but not at all like swimming around dolphins, which upon occasion exhibit very strong interest/interaction in having/with human company.

Leffler817

CCA Members
I've swum with them before - bit like hanging out with someone who's meditating when you're not. Even the babies seemed to be there just to bear witness. Not to say that it wasn't cool, but not at all like swimming around dolphins, which upon occasion exhibit very strong interest/interaction in having/with human company.

Me too! Only a certain type thereof. I used to lifeguard at a YMCA and watched many a sea cow swim around. It was quite a sight.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Pretty unrelated, but pretty awesome nonetheless:

oh-the-huge-manatee1.jpg

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
As far as jumping in with them goes, you want to be sure you're not doing that during mating season. That would not be cool.

We sure do have a lot of "cool" here but this sounds like what I am missing. During mating season you say? This is tempting in a really degenerative way. This may be what is missing from my life.

You do realize that many think the mermaid was actually based on manatees. Maybe not so far fetched. Now that would be coooool.

Curmudgeon