• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Madhatter

Members
Hello Everyone!

I'm a newbie / novice to the cichild hobby. I'm setting up a 75 gallon tank now with a custom sump. And threads I should read? Beginner species I should look at?

Thanks in advance!

Madhatter aka Adam

Madhatter

Members
Thanks All!. I'm located near Penn State University in Pennsylvania. This is my first jump into the message boards so I'm learning as I go along. Just never had the use for one before. I'm glad to find a community with so much Cichlid knowledge. I'm Setting up a Malawi tank now. Still deciding on species and numbers there of.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I've never ordered from them. If you are going to get fish shipped, check out Dave's Rare Fish. Dave is a club sponsor and has an amazing selection of Africans.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Welcome aboard.

When you're setting up a Malawi tank, ask yourself two main questions:

-Do you want mbuna or mostly haps and peacock?
-Do you want all males (generally a hap/peacock setup) or several breeding groups (generally easier with mbuna, but will work with haps/peacocks with some planning)?

+1 on Dave's. One of the best people I know.. that happens to have a killer selection.

Madhatter

Members
I've struggled with that. I like the idea of mbuna's hiding in the rocks but I also like the idea of the all male haps/ peacocks. I'm afraid to mix the three because of my lack of experience. I'm very much concerned about over aggressive fish in the tank.

rob3rtphan

Members
Shoot I am doing mbuna, haps, and throphus. If u over stock or have many holes and hiding places u should be ok

Sent from my HTC Glacier using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Madhatter

Members
Shoot I am doing mbuna, haps, and throphus. If u over stock or have many holes and hiding places u should be ok

So let me be sure I understand prefectly. If I have a lot of hiding places, ie rocks & caves...it will help curb aggression?

Sent from my ADR6400L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rob3rtphan

Members
Yeah and if one fish is being to aggressive take it out n put him in a breeding net for a day and reintroduce him back in n he will retire his alpha spot.

Madhatter

Members
Yeah and if one fish is being to aggressive take it out n put him in a breeding net for a day and reintroduce him back in n he will retire his alpha spot.

That's awesome advice. Thank you! The aggression is my only concern with the Malawi.

Madhatter

Members
I do have one good question.... If you could have any Malawi, what species would that be?

I'm still learning new species every day but my top species is probably the "Hongi super red top"

Hiding spots (lots of rocks) disturbs the line of sight. Before throwing in a mix of different fish, find a fish you like. Do your homework on the fish and what it needs to thrive. Start with a group of them, watch them grow, watch how they act, get your water change plans down. Have fun with a group and as you learn more venture into different fish or muliple fish in a tank.

Leffler817

CCA Members
Welcome to the forum! Try cichlidforum.com there is a species profile for just about every fish in lake Malawi. It is broken down into three groups: Hal's, mbuna, and peacocks. Look up the fish and articles then pick the fish you want and ask questions here. We'll be able to help you along. :happy0180:

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rob3rtphan

Members
60+cichlids 3 thropus, lots of peacock, lots of haps, 2 american cichlids and 1 silver dollar and 2 dumb parrot 3 convict, 1 firemouth and even a polleni . But I have been doing this for 10 years.

uploadfromtaptalk1338012779829.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1338013029655.jpg