• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

ALTUMS ARE HERE

BenM3

Members
We were the first if not one of the first in the US to get Altums this season. This is our second shipment of Altums as the first is pretty much gone. We have over 1400 Altums arriving today barring any delays. That is over 10 XL boxes. The sizes are 3-4cm (smalls) amd 6-8cm (mediums). They are mostly Rio Inirida Altums but we do have one very rare box of Rio Atabapo Altums medium size coming in also. The Rio Atabapo are as sought after if not more than the Rio Ventauri Altums (Rio Ventauri Altums are from Venezuela). PM me if anyone is interested. Our first shipment was 500+ fish and we had very little losses. They fish are coming in very healthy. We are quaratining them and holding them before shipping them out. We are the direct importers and there is no middle man. We also have a direct personal relationship with the exporters in South American, this allows to get the best quality there is out there. These are the same fish that go to the Asian market. They are shipped over night only or you can pick them up in Kunkletown PA.

I have 14 Medium Rio Ventauri Altums still available. They are 40/ Each, but will discount slightly if ordering 12 or more.

BenM3

Members
The shipment was delayed due to South American Independence Day Holiday. The fish are schedule to arrive Monday at which time they will go through quarantine.

Some Pics of the incoming fish.

The first pic is of the Rio Atabapo Medium.
The second pic is of a Rio Inirida Large.

Here is a movie of the small ones from last batch:

http://s951.photobucket.com/albums/ad357/CityofAngelFish/?action=view&current=0a581fae.mp4

The Smalls (3-4 cm) are small, about dime size.
Mediums (6-8 cm) are quarter size body.
Large are close to dollar body size.
They measure a bit differently than what we are used to here in the US. Here in the US, we go by Standard Total Length (STL) which is length of fish from head to tail, over there, they go by total height including finnage, but I broke it down by body size to help people understand.

Rio Atabapo Altums.jpg

Rio Inirida Large.jpg

Last edited:

BenM3

Members
Hey Ben! I'm pretty new to angelfish. At what size can you tell what sex they are?

Arlene

Domestic and wild Altums are very different in terms if age at which they sexually mature. Altums are usually about 3 years old, but domestic angels are about 6 months to 1 year. Both can be hard to tell, and you usually don't know for sure until they pair up. When breeding they will both fp breeding tubes, the females will be bigger and fatter than the males. Wild Altums are notoriously hard to breed in captivity. Ther are only a handful of people that have done it. Sort of a holy grail for altum keepers. F1 altum juveniles are easily 60-80$ each.

If you want a pair, best to get 6 fish, odds are good you will have a pair that way.

etu1002

Members
Hi Ben,
Are those medium Inirida Altums still available? How much are 3 of them plus shipping to Bethesda Maryland? Sorry, I am not able to PM you.

Regards

BenM3

Members
Fran, sent you a PM. The fish are now here locally for those to see and pick up locally rather than be shipped from PA.

I have fish ranging in size from dime to quarter plus. $25-45 depending on size and location of origin.