• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Apisto Pandouro

killakacti

Members
I got 2 pairs and the first pair that we got spawned in a community tank, after sevral days the eggs slowly dissapered.

I have just recently taken both pairs from the community tank and now i have them in 2) 10g tanks in hopes to see some eggs.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Mine spawn regularly

I just have to pull Papa to get a decent brood - only have 5 from the last go-around.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
No idea

They all live in 10s with sponge filters and lots of moss, small annubias/driftwood shards, oak leaves and floating water sprite, get RO/DI water changes of about 50% every 2-4 weeks, mostly flake food but occasional frozen bloodworms/minced blackworms, and a pot and/or a coconut shell for spawning. I have no idea what the pH is but if I'd had a better way to isolate the males after spawning I'd truly have a lot of Apistos. Think a communal paternal/bachelor tank to give all the fathers time-outs while mothers raise the broods is needed but that may be because 10s just aren't spacious enough to be conducive to co-parenting.

If I'm going to bother to raise a bunch of fry I want there to be 15-20 at minimum and preferably twice that so if the males don't get isolated more or less immediately my interest in fussing with the fry sort of vanishes. So I started my bachelor tank. My A. baenschi/Inka came through again last week and I pulled the male right away - as a result I have about 40-50 fry instead of what would likely be a dozen by now. But again, with a bigger tank it might not be an issue.

Anyway, they're not so hard to please it seems, these Apistos. Am sure live food helps, water changes maybe not so much, lower pH than tap almost to be sure.

killakacti

Members
Thanks for sharing Avatar, I was wondering if anyone else was keeping them in 10gallon tanks, I have almond leaves,alder cones, Java moss and Java fern in with them now. I havent gone the R.O. route yet, do plan to in the future.

Sent from my ADR8995 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App