• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB: Mbuna groups

iamzrad

Members
I'm thinking about getting back to mbuna's and want to setup a nice 55gal group (maybe 2-3 different groups). Granted, I haven't had mbuna's in over 5+ yrs, so I'm a little rusty when it comes to mixing them.

Anybody selling some groups? I'm not too particular to which ones I would keep, so anything is welcomed!

Rasta Fish

Members
what 3 groups are you looking to have Phil?
Jay have some also they are doing an order from Dave be a good time to order this week
Do you want to go with the regular well known groups?
or are you looking to go with different more rare types?
Yellow Labs/Rustie's and Yellow tail Acei

iamzrad

Members
Craig, something a little different would be nice. I'm thinking 2 groups, maybe 3 max. I'd really like to have contrasting "colors" in the fish. I've always been a big fan of Afra's (Cobue) and Socolofi's. I'm leaning towards the dwarf mbuna's for this tank.

But like I said, I'm open to anything really, but something different from the commons would be nice!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Wblaze

Members
Whatever I have for sale that Phil is not interested in, I will make available to the rest of the board

Wblaze

Members
What I will have available are:
Cynotilapia afra Mara Rocks -- Amazing Color
Red Top Kilumba -- Starting to color real nice
White tail acei -- getting an awesome blue

I have been feeding yourfishstuff cichlid flakes and NLS and my fish are getting awesome color

A 2x2x1 is how many gallons?

Rasta Fish

Members
So it it better to keep a group or groups of Mbuna in smaller tanks keep them fully stock to cut aggression?
This will also keep them smaller

Wblaze

Members
I can try and take pics or else I will find you a link. I think it is a Kilumba but I am not sure if it should be Chilumba. One is a Lab species and the other is a treops species. Mine are the lab species

dogofwar

CCA Members
I've had good luck with the 2'x2'x1' tanks for groups of mbuna, haps and peacocks. The key is heavy, female heavy stocking, filtration and hiding spots.

In my fishroom in California, I kept mostly African mouthbrooders on the top rack of my fishroom and filtered with oversize dump filters (plus sponges and boxes). I tried to keep a dozen or so (usually 2M/10 or so females) or so of a group in a tank. Decoration was 3 or so fish condos (AKA PVC of various sizes rubberbanded together)...and the tanks were all on auto-water changers.

This worked great for Cynotilapia, Pseudo. kingsizei, polits, red zebras, all kinds of peacocks, Protomelas, Victorian Haps...even Nimbochromis livingstoni and polystigma (although I kept only 1M/~5-6 females in the tank).

Matt

So it it better to keep a group or groups of Mbuna in smaller tanks keep them fully stock to cut aggression?
This will also keep them smaller

Rasta Fish

Members
Interesting Matt
I have always think you need more room for Mbuna at lease a 75 gallon tank
But lately have seen and heard of people having great success in 29 and 30 gallon tanks

dogofwar

CCA Members
It really depends on the fish... I wouldn't try it with Melanochromis chipokae or Chilumba zebra or angrier peacocks, but it worked (at least for me) for many of them.

...and a 24x24 footprint tank allows me to get away with some stuff that I couldn't with say a 36X12...

Matt

Interesting Matt
I have always think you need more room for Mbuna at lease a 75 gallon tank
But lately have seen and heard of people having great success in 29 and 30 gallon tanks