• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Frankenstorm!!!!!!!!!!

YSS

Members
Urghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Not looking forward to it. Hope everyone weathers the storm. Completely unprepared for it not that I ever was during other storms.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I'm hoping that we'll fare better, especially since a lot of the leaves are off the trees and more will be off before the storm gets here. I'm hoping I can coax some of my corydoras to spawn during the pressure drop, with some water changes.

And, if the power goes out again, at least we won't be hot or bitterly cold. Filtration will be an issue, but I've got more battery powered pumps, and I'll lower the water levels.

View it as an opportunity to simulate the dry season in your tanks!

chriscoli

Administrator
We just got our generator installed...goes on automatically when the power goes out.

I think our friends to the North are going to get hit harder than us....Folks like Bill and Rachel.

Pepco decided to break me in gently for next week by giving me a power outage this morning. Third one in six weeks -- none weather related. Now that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy . . . I did go online last night and order another powerpac. I have two and they did a good job of keeping air stones going during the big derecho outage.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Buttoning the house tonight, cleaning out the carport and gutters.

Will pull out the generator and run it for a minute to make sure everything's kosher. Planning on filling up the gas tanks as well tonight.

Big water changes would probably be a good idea tonight as well.

YSS

Members
Yup. water changes in order. Looks like we have time. bad stuff won't start until Sunday night . . .

Well, at least we won't be at work (or most of us) when the sh!t hits the fan. :(

I wonder whether or not my son's soccer game on Sunday afternoon will be cancelled...

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Bring it!

I really like heavy weather both for it's own sake but also for its impact on and disruption to our opulent privileged lifestyle. Be interesting to see what this anticipated convergence of storm systems produces - not hoping that anyone comes to harm, I just love storms and have yet to meet a frog-stranglng downpour that didn't suit.

mchambers

Former CCA member
And, as I learned at the end of June, having a headlamp is a big help, especially if some of your aquariums are in your basement.

chriscoli

Administrator
I will definitely be watching my cories, though. Tropical low pressure sure seems to get some of them to spawn.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I went to the grocery store to pick up a few supplies like food I can easily cook on a camping stove and gas for our generator.

It never fails that we lose power in big storms because our power lines in South Reston are above ground. I'm just hoping that it won't be as bad as the last storm that we had in June when I was out on the West Coast. We supposedly didn't have power for three days and a huge tree took out our shed and my greenhouse.

We are prepared!

Arlene

Plenipotentiary-at-large
And a miracle worker of sorts.

Or an anti-climactic/climatic non-event as is so often the case with predictions of impending havoc/doom.

My parents from Lewes, DE are currently visiting me for my daughter's baptism. They were scheduled to fly back to Philly and then to Salisbury on Tuesday. Guess they will be here an extra day now at least.

Wish I was there actually. I got to surf the Halloween swell of 1991 in Florida. First time I was ever in 15' waves. I am bummed I am going to miss Halloween swell II!

Andy