• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB - P. Nicholsi and A. Centrarchus females

turfboss

Members
Still looking for females for my breeding groups of Psuedocrenilabrus Nicholsi and Archocentrus Centrarchus - interested in one (or two) female Nicholsi and now also looking for two (or three) Centrarchus.

dogofwar

CCA Members
George - centrarchus are pair spawners, so additional ones (even females) will likely get the crap beaten out of them...

Matt

turfboss

Members
Problem is the pair I brought home - he beat the crap out of her and killed her - maybe the tank was too little - 20H - or not enough hiding places for her - some rocks but no real caves for her - I am learning but at the expense of some of these fish - which I don't like. Did not see the breeding pairs info in my reading so I need a replacement for the centrarchus female - how about for the nicholsi - I do have one female there thought haveing a few more might be good - but maybe not??

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I wouldn't keep a pair of adult centrarchus in anything smaller than an 40 breeder, preferably a 4 foot tank.

turfboss

Members
Yeah Jon - my mistake - should have put them in my 55 - but had just put 15 Demosani juvies in there and was worried about mixing the sizes.

todda

Members
I keep my breeding group of p. nicholsi in a 55 gallon, the sub-dom male was getting his fins chewed up in the 29 they were in. I currently have one holding but I haven't figured out how many day the females hold for. Last two times they spit their fry between days 10-14. Anybody know how long they usually hold fry for?

dogofwar

CCA Members
Yes - nicholsi hold for a shorter time than rift lake... Take them after a week or so and separate the holding females.

Matt

todda

Members
just pulled 31 free swimmers, and two more nicholsi holding - this time it was 12 days till they were done

jonclark96

Past CCA President
George - Jeff Rapps has F2 Lago Nicaragua centrarchus on his list. I picked up 2 pairs this week and they are definitely worth the price. They were even bigger than I expected them to be, with the males pushing 5 inches.

turfboss

Members
Cenrtrarchus

Jon - just saw your post on Jeff Rapps - I don't think I know him (vendor? - member?) - how do I contact him??

turfboss

Members
Nicholsi spawn

Todd -

Got 4 from a first spawn - guess it was 3 or 4 weeks ago but did not see a single little guy till last Friday and even then they are very cautious with the male still in the tank. Pulled the male this morning cause I saw one new tiny guy come out from under the rock - the 4 started sqimming all over the tank and the female immediately spit about 15 more (and boy are they tiny) - debating on whether to leave her in the tank or take her out - Matt says they will eat the fry so guess I should take her out (or pull the fry). This is exciting cause my albino BN Ancistrus is fanning eggs that are beginning to hatch as well.

turfboss

Members
OK - got Matts msg on only needing one Centrarchus since they are pair breeders and since my Nicholsi pair have spawned twice since I posted that first msg do not need any more of them - she is a prolific little gal - got about 20 fry now ( 4 from the first spawn (three or four weeks ago but only saw the first one in the tank last Friday) - and now about 15 more this morning).

and Jon tells me Jeff Rapps has Centrarchus so I will contact him as soon as I figure out who and where he is.

Thanks guys for all the updates and help.

Diogenes

Members
a 20H? are you kidding me? I should have just taken them to Alabama. I thought you knew what you were doing.

turfboss

Members
sorry - Matt - I feel bad too - there were just the two of them in there for quarantine and she had plenty of hiding spaces - the male and the julie are both in a 180 now.