• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

2009 Speaker Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
The 2009 Speakers for the CCA
All meetings start at 2pm.

January 10th,2009:
Kurt Johnston - Making Your Own Fish Food
Kurt has been a member of the Aquarium Club of Lancaster County since May 2005 and is currently the Public Relations Chair, BAP chair and Swap Meet Chair as well as a member of the Capital Cichlid Association and the American Livebearers Association. "Through the last 40 years years I always had at least one aquarium that were set up for show but due to several moves never really got involved in a big way until moving to York County 6 years ago. After meeting my wife, her father introduced me to a 29 gallon tank that he was not using and the addiction started. Shortly thereafter I went to a meeting of the Aquarium Club of Lancaster County and started learning from the many members who were breeding many different species of fish. My first fish for breeding was a trio of Zoogoneticus tequila that I bought from Rit Forcier when he came to Lancaster on a speaking engagement. Goodeids and other unusual livebearers are still my favorites but I have also had several African Cichlids from Malawi, Tanganyika and Victoria as well as some Peacock Gudgeons (Tateurndina ocellicauda) and Bristle nose catfish. Because of my varied interest in different species of fish and, the cost of quality foods, I decided to explore the possibility of making a food that would meet the nutritional needs of many different species whether they be herbivores, omnivores or carnivores. Over the past 2 years I did a lot of research into the different ingredients that others used and checked into what different "difficult" or "special needs" fish needed. What I came up with is a food that is fairly easy to make, inexpensive, and nutritionally complete to serve as my main but not only food. I will explain the whys and hows of this ongoing project during this presentation."

**********February 21st,2009:**********
Please note: This is the 3rd Saturday. Scheduling conflict with the police station for the 2nd Saturday. Please note***********
Mike Hill - Aquarium Photography.
Mike is the Vice President of the CCA better known as Maddog

March 14th,2009:
Terry Fairfield - Fish Disease Identification and Management
Terry Fairfield is a 1989 graduate of University of Wisconsin – Green Bay with a Bachelors Degree in Aquatic Microbiology. He has attended the University of Georgia – Athens for a short course entitled Fish Health Management. He has written numerous magazine articles on fish health and environmental concerns. He has written A COMMON SENSE GUIDE TO FISH HEALTH published in 2000 by Barron's Educational Series and lectures on this topic to many aquariums societies and some public aquariums. He is currently working on another book on fish diseases to be published by Julian Sprung owner of TwoLittleFishies. He has kept aquariums continuously for the past 34 years and lives in northern Illinois.

April 11th,2009:
Loiselle, Paul Dr. Paul Loiselle- The Cichlids next door. Central American
I want to thank Michael Barber and PVAS for sharing this speaker with us. Last year the two clubs shared Spencer Jack and this year it will be Dr Loiselle. He will be giving one talk at the CCA on Saturday, and then will give a different talk on Monday at the PVAS meeting. Sharing a speaker each year not only gives both clubs the opportunity to have a famous speaker but also helps lower the cost for the clubs.

May 6th, 2009:Aquarium Care by Capital Cichlid Association
Event Type: Special Event
Date: 5/6/2009
Start Time: 7:00 PM
End Time: 8:00 PM
Library: Gaithersburg
Description: Learn how to care for tropical fish in your home aquarium. On-site demonstration.

May 9th,2009:
Ad Konings - "The Peacocks of Lake Malawi"
Ad is the biggest name in African Cichlids today.

Bio:

1. Born January 11th 1956 in Roosendaal, Netherlands.
2. Lived most of life in Rotterdam, also during study in Amsterdam.
3. 1970. Started keeping cichlids when I was 14 years old. See interview by Juan Miguel Artigas at his great website for further “detailsâ€.
4. 1974-1980. Studied medical biology at the University of Amsterdam and did my doctoral exam in 1980.
5. 1980-1986. Did research on lysosomal enzymes at the Erasmus University in Rotterdam. Most of it DNA-related work (molecular biology), which just takes too much of your free time.
6. Moved to Germany (St. Leon-Rot near Heidelberg) in 1986 to live with Gertrud and her two daughters, Mey (12 years) and Louiza (3 years). I started to write books and breed Tanganyika Cichlids. I also worked for 18 months at the University of Heidelberg, Parasitology Dept.
7. Started my own publishing company, Cichlid Press, in 1991 and first-published book was the “Cichlids Yearbook, vol. 1â€. 8. In 1996, after 10 years of living in sin, Gertrud and I married in Malawi. Stuart Grant and his wife Esther were our best men. 9. Moved to El Paso, Texas, in 1996. The reason: the sun ALWAYS shines and less than 7†rain in a year. It is a beautiful place with mountains (7000ft) and El Paso is at 4000ft (1250m). It can be hot in summer (>110°F / 42°C) but at night it cools off. We all received the “Green Card†in 2000. Don’t plan to move away in the next 100 years. Also moved Cichlid Press to here. It is still a mom-and-pop company with Gertrud and me doing the traveling, planning, photographing, diving, writing, layout, prepress, publication, and distribution for my own books but also Back to Nature books and books by other authors. On average I get two requests per week for photos for magazines, books, scientists, museums, etc. I also do the layout/prepress for Cichlid News. Recently working with (and partially employed by) Jay Stauffer of Pennstate University on several topics but all related to Malawi cichlids. Between the expeditions (three per year) and talks I fly about 75,000 miles a year (yeah, American Airlines Platinum Advantage). The good thing of it all: I haven’t worked a day in my life! Enjoy your cichlids!

June 13th, 2009:
Eric Bodrock - "Cory Breeding Made Easy"
My name is Eric Bodrock. I have been interested in fishkeeping since age 10. My mom started my catfish craze by picking out five "Peppered" Corys that came along as a sales promotion with a 10-gallon tank that she bought for me to raise some Platy babies. The Corys spawned about a year later and that is when things snowballed, or I should say the disease spread out of control! By the 9th grade, I landed a job in a local pet shop, by 12th grade I had worked in three different shops, bought out one that had closed and was maintaining 60 aquariums. I ran the fish department of another shop right out of high school and left there to open my own shop, at age 20, along with a couple of partners. I sold out to the partners after three years and opened my own "aquarium specialty" shop. I sold that business after eight years. I then worked as a sales rep. for Jim and Nancy White, owners of White's Fish Farm that was located in Ohio, until they shut down in 1997. In 2001 I opened All Oddball Aquatics, a 7,300' facility which housed 600 aquariums that served as a hatchery and retail outlet. I sold that facility in April 2007 and currently operate All Oddball Aquatics on-line as a mail-order operation. Along with my girlfriend, Regina Spotti, we maintain about 120 aquariums at our home and continue to work with many species of fish, with Corys still my main interest.
I have been active in the Greater Pittsburgh Aquarium Society, Inc. since the mid 70's and at the end of 2007, finally reached the title of "Grand Master Breeder", spawning more than 400 species of fish, including 51 Corydoradinae species, and accumulated over 4,300 points in the club's Breeders Award Program (BAP) program..
I have judged dozens of fish shows thru out Ohio, New York and Pennsylvania and have attended hundreds of related events in the United States, Germany and the UK. My highlight in the hobby has been getting to be such good friends with so many great hobbyists thru out the world. I often tell folks I can talk about fish longer than they want to listen about them!

July/August
Summer Break - No meetings

July 11th, 2009:
Member/family cook-out

September 12th, 2009
Chuck Rambo from California - Poor Man's Collecting Trip 2009- A trip to Florida collecting cichlids in the Everglades and collecting at fish farms too
Chuck Rambo currently maintains over 30 aquariums of cichlids from all over the world. He has been keeping fish since 1967. He has more than twenty dives in both Lake Malawi and Lake Tanganyika. He has been the past president and is a current life member of his local club, the Pacific Coast Cichlid Association. He has been the past chair and currently is a Fellow of the American Cichlid Association. In April of this year he organized a collecting trip in the South of Florida. With 15 club members they went all over the tip of Florida exploring creeks, canals and the Everglades looking for escaped tropical fish that have naturalized in the Florida's freshwater. The idea was to form a cheap affordable trip that required no passports, shots or visas, and would almost guarantee the possibility of bringing back some cichlid species that would be new to our club. While they were there they were fortunate top be able to colect at Old World Exotic Tropical Fish Farm. This is run by the owner of Cichlid News Magazine, Laif DeMason. Chuck is looking forward to his first trip to the club.

October 10th, 2009
Show discussion, whats up, how to show fish, etc.
Elections,
Possibly a short presentation from George on his trip to South America.

October 16th, 17th, 18th 2009
Aquafest09
Laurel Maryland

November 14th, 2009
Larry Johnson from Canada. -
Swimming with Cichlids- Lake Malawi
Larry was first introduced to Lake Malawi cichlids in the early 70's,but did not actually start keeping them until the mid '70s'.
Since then Larry has never been without having them in his fish room. Eventually the fish room got bigger and was consumed by these beautiful fish.
"Tropical Fish are a full time job for me. I presently run 60 various size aquariums at home (and expanding) and manage a large fish room for "Big Al's" Aquarium Services in Hamilton Ontario, Canada".
In September 2008 he will travel to Lake Malawi for the 8th time. You can see many beautiful pics that have been taken over the years in the safari pages.
Larry has been importing Lake Malawi Cichlids from the Lake since April 2006, bringing into Canada a lot of old favorites and newly discovered species.
In his spare time you can find Larry at local fish clubs (Hamilton & District Aquarium Society) and other clubs doing the "fish thing" (speaking or attending).

Last edited:

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
You can also access the schedule on the left side of the portal now.
It does not take you here but I have the schedule posted there. Listed as calendar right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.