• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

All-Aquarium Catfish Convention 2010

Andrew

Members
Website is now live at http://www.catfish2010.com!

Please note the new location: Fairfax, VA. Bigger, better, cheaper.

Rift Lake folks? We have two speakers on catfishes from the lakes. Ad Konings will do his first ever catfish presentation showing us pictures and video of these guys in their natural habitats. Jeremy Wright revised Lake Tanganyika Synodontis a few years ago and will tell us about those fishes including how to tell them apart.

New World people? Corydoras Master Ian Fuller will be back with updated Cory programs. Possibly best of all, we're bringing in someone from Brazil to tell us about the amazing Rio Xingu Plecos, Lucia Rapp Py-Daniel. And the friendly wood carver, Brian Walsh, will be talking about his favorite Doradid cats.

And of course, there's lots more including a fish show, auction, etc., etc.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Its a shame they moved the convention to VA, but if its bigger and cheaper, then the move was the right decision.

I'll be there, I'll just try to hitch a ride if possible.

I will be there FOR SURE!

This is one of the few conventions that, for one reason or another, I have never been able to attend. BUT THAT CHANGES THIS YEAR! Very excited! :jumpy: <--- hey, she should be a blonde!

Ian is one of my ALL TIME favorite cory experts, and I love hearing him speak. I ALWAYS learn something from him, every time.

Plus, it is my b'day during the convention. What better way for me to spend my b'day than at a fish convention!!?

:lol:

longstocking

Members
WOOT !! my favorite convention :) For many reasons.... but most of all I get to hang with my two favorite girls :) Barbie and Julie :)

They aren't sure if they are selling this year or not?? :( We have to figure out a way to get Julies fish racks down for her from PA as it wouldn't be the same without her room ! She sold her truck. Beer and Fish !!!

Cool line up Andrew....something different :)

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I'm totally pumped. Will definitely be there. :party0006:

F8LBITE

Members
this is only 20 mins from me Im SO there. Ill definitely bring my cooler on wheels and get a room so I dont have to drive!!!

Julie

Members
Beat me to it, Pat! Oh well. I registered this evening.
Andrew,

Unless I miss my guess, Barbie and I beat you all to it, as she ran up and registered before we left the last convention! I think we'll have to ante up some money as the price went up a bit, but no worries!!

And if I'm wrong, let me know! This is definitely one convention that both Barbie and I won't miss!!

Julie

Members
WOOT !! my favorite convention :) For many reasons.... but most of all I get to hang with my two favorite girls :) Barbie and Julie :)

They aren't sure if they are selling this year or not?? :( We have to figure out a way to get Julies fish racks down for her from PA as it wouldn't be the same without her room ! She sold her truck. Beer and Fish !!!

No worries, Sarah, I'll figure out a way to get the rack there... either borrow my gf's truck, or rent a van. Party on the 9th floor ought to be a hoot!! Great idea Andrew, my kudos to whomever thought that one up!!

Of course, there was always a party in our room, I just wonder why theybother to include beds in it as we never seem to get much sleep!!

Andrew

Members
Sherry's idea for the hall party. Whomever wants to sell fish from their room, book the 9th floor. On Friday night there will be hospitality suites on both ends of the hallway, and all the room vendors in between.

Andrew

Members
And yes, Julie and Barbie chipped in their cash at the 2008 convention to make sure that we'd do another one.

longstocking

Members
I'm just glad it's happening... I got so sad at the banquet two years ago. So, thank you PVAS for working your butts off putting on two events :)

You've got a great thing going IMO.... the only catfish convention in the world ;) ( I think at least? ) It can only get bigger :)

I know I'm not a pvas member.... but if you see me and you need help let me know :)

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP

Ah Man, I love Barbie and Julie. We're going to have a ball!

mrkillie

Members
There's only one problem with this thing....for a catfish convention, last time there were very few catfish in the auction. Maybe this will change this time around???

longstocking

Members
I remember some pretty cool catfish in the last auction that were donated to make planet catfish some cash to keep the site running.

I do remember a lot of other stuff as well, but most were at least catfish friendly. I will admit the first year was best when they ordered wild fish in for the auction. I'm guessing that wasn't cost effective .... but it was very cool.

I know I will bring more catfish this year.... because I have more :lol:

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
I've gotta figure out a way to come check this out. Sounds like lotsa fun, friends, and fish... right up my alley!!!

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Okay, this is a little over a month away.
But the deadline for putting fish in the show comes up first.
Here are a couple of the rules that relate to when the deadlines are.

1. For the first ten fish registered by a single person, the entry fee per fish will be $3.00 if pre-registered, and $4.00 if registered after October 8, 2010. Any additional fish after ten paid registered fish by the same person will be free. All entry fees should accompany the Show Registration Form.
  2. There is no limit to the number of fish entered in the Show.
  3. Fish may be pre-registered for the Show (by Thursday, October 14, 2010), by electronic means (email and Paypal), conventional mail (postmarked by October 8, 2010), or email arrangements. Pre-registration is encouraged to accurately plan for tanks, tables, show racks, and layout for the show. Fish entries will be accepted at the door for the Show at the $4.00 fee.
Now remember that the rules are set for an all species show. What am I talking about? There are only a few classes for Cichlids. So you will have all African cichlids in the same class etc. But thats okay.
I still say, lets see if the Cichid section can out number the Catfish. LOL

Again this is a good chance to practice for the ACA. Take your fish, see how it reacts. Find out now what you need to bring or don't need. Get the experiance while you can.