• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Well, tomorrow it begins...

rich_one

Members
I wanted to update this. What a road it has been. He has had a really weird time getting enlisted. He became frustrated with a particular Army recruiter, who made many empty promises, and has now instead enlisted full active duty to the Navy. He leaves for MEPS next Thursday.

My boy is a man in the service of the United States of America now. Pride. Fear. Happiness. Sadness. I wonder if there is a word that takes these four emotions, and combines them into one.

I actually want to have a drink with him... but I have to wait until he turns 21! LOL... funny... right now, I just realize the irony of that. You can take a gun and defend your county at 18, but can't have a drink until your 21... just odd. LOL...

Anyway... as you can see, my mind is now wandering into weird areas. Bottomline, he's making good choices for his future, and no matter what, I am very happy to see that!

-Rich

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Rich - I'm glad that he didn't just settle into what was easy and took the right path for himself. I have a couple of very good friends in the navy. Any idea where he'll be training out of?

I say what the heck... have a beer with the boy before he rolls out.

MIA

Members
Rich,

It is a balancing act, hugh.... For 18 yrs you have protected, loved, cared for your son and now it is out of your hands in a career with inherit risks... Can only imagine and appreciate what you must be going through...

Wanting to have him safe and being so proud that he grew up with the values, conviction, and courage to embark on the journey he is now on. Sounds like you did a great job :) All you can do is have faith and trust he will return better than you expect. With the navy he will get to see the world which is great experience.

All the best to you and yours!! and Thank you.
ALQGKQr6Xgh1EPSKcAVwsPGEIPWk0LuEkAfILrC8oAc1Ue5OPwq8O+mBAAA7

Ryan.

rich_one

Members
Thanks, guys... I appreciate the kind words. I'm just glad for him, because he had become quite frustrated with the Army recruiter we were originally working with. The Navy recruiter was a much better guy to deal with, and all in all, I think he's pretty excited now.

-Rich

tparker

Members
WOW sounds like you have done well as a father in that you have raised your boy into a fine young man. Thanks for your transparency, as a father of 3 teen aged boys you have spoken lasting words to me. tparker

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Must be strange to be a little scared, worried, and proud all at the same time.

I think the Navy is a better place to be anyway. You are more likely to get training and experience that translates to work in the civilian world if he decides to leave the service. If you stay in, it has always been said that the Navy has the best food too. Good food can become very important in the service.

Never been in myself but that is what I have been told by relatives who have.

As Tony noted, you might as well break down and share that beer. My cousin told me age doesn't mean much at the bar on the base. The uniform says it all.

rich_one

Members
Thanks again for the kind words, guys... this is the week my son'll find out about the next chapter of his life when he heads to MEPS! You guys words and advice have been taken to heart. I will make sure me, my son, and Mr. Yuengling have a moment of reflection before he ships out!

-Rich