• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Obligatory New Guy Thread

Yeah UNCLERUCKUS that would be a lot of water changes especially at that size. That guy must have a pool sand filter on that tank or something.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
****, my thread got hijacked bad

Lets get back on track. What does your setup for the deppi consist of? I had a deppi a couple years ago. I parted with it when it was small. It was a beautiful fish but grew slow and was being out competed for food and territory.

Sent from my DROIDX

gnuisance

Members
Lets get back on track. What does your setup for the deppi consist of? I had a deppi a couple years ago. I parted with it when it was small. It was a beautiful fish but grew slow and was being out competed for food and territory.

Sent from my DROIDX

Yes, thank you andrew. I added to my order with cichlid connection and I now have small groups of deppi and bartoni coming. My plan is to put the fish in divided 20 long to allow them to grow out. Once they are 3-4" I will move the groups to 40 breeders to try and get a pair. Do you think this will work?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I would be careful in a tank that small. I grew 2 deppi out to about 4" in a 55 when the larger one turned on the smaller (I think they were both males). You may have issues with them in such a small tank once they hit 2-3 inches.

Bartoni will definitely end with one fish in a tank that small. They are mean fish, especially towards each other. I'd try a bigger tank if you have one.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I agree with Jon. A 20L is too small for one group. Dividing it and adding two groups will likely result in fish loss and stress for you and the fish. A 40b may be okay to grow out the deppi to a couple of inches. I have no experience with bartoni but Jon is credible and I value his opinion.

Sent from my DROIDX

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
If petco is still having their dollar per gallon sale, you should take advantage.

Sent from my DROIDX

jag14

Members
I have a hybrid Jaguar, has been tentative id as Dovii mix on another website. He is 14 inches going on 15, and is quite aggressive. He lives with a large pleco. He is in a 75 gallon tank with only a gravel and a large cave. He is friendly with me, plays with a magnet glass cleaner frequently. I swear he knows me and interacts with me. Anyone else out there with a "wet pet" knows what I mean. I don't have a problem with hybrids, it happens in nature too. Some hybrids can be very interesting in appearance.

gnuisance

Members
I would be careful in a tank that small. I grew 2 deppi out to about 4" in a 55 when the larger one turned on the smaller (I think they were both males). You may have issues with them in such a small tank once they hit 2-3 inches.

Bartoni will definitely end with one fish in a tank that small. They are mean fish, especially towards each other. I'd try a bigger tank if you have one.

Yea I was afraid of this. My ultimate goal is to get a pair of both. I guess thinking they were going to pair in a tank so small is not realistic. I will probably pick up a couple of 40 breeders for both groups and try and keep things civil until a pair of both species forms.

I agree with Jon. A 20L is too small for one group. Dividing it and adding two groups will likely result in fish loss and stress for you and the fish. A 40b may be okay to grow out the deppi to a couple of inches. I have no experience with bartoni but Jon is credible and I value his opinion.

Sent from my DROIDX

Thanks, i will keep you guys posted

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Good luck with both species. I really like the deppi, and was bummed that I ended up with 2 males. I'd like to try breeding them again in the future. Dogofwar had a breeding pair of bartoni in a divided tank. The female managed to get on the other side of the divider and got killed. Keep a close eye on the tank once they get to breeding size.