• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

65 Gal Discus tank

mdlnewman

Members
They most likely are looking at movement in the hall. Like all good cichlids they know human=food.
Current is strong from the FX5.

mdlnewman

Members
Two new pics from my discus tank
The boys
picture.php

The L333 looking good

picture.php

YSS

Members
Very nice. What are they looking at? The current is very strong or my eyes are playing tricks on me. :)

Yes, very nice and clean setup. FX5 for a 65G tank? Anyhow, as Francine said, that's very strong currents and may be too strong for discus. Discus in wild have been seen swimming in strong currents, but they are known for liking calm water.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Love what you've done with the place

With their body profile it's easy for discus to let the current flow past them. I have an Eheim 2026 and a 2028 on a 55 and the for all the energy the discus appear to be expending to stay in place one might think they were in a pond.

There's also a lot that can be done with how one directs filter outflow - aiming it at the glass or using it to roil up the surface (which I do to facilitate gas exchange and break up surface proteins) diminishes the force of the flow.

Pretty set-up/fish by the way - really like the plants.

mdlnewman

Members
They really don't seem to mind the current. I have one outlet pointed up and across to agitate surface and the other pointed towards bottom of front glass. I end up with a poop zone basically under the outlet to vacuum up.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
My discus are still in the 45H in the kitchen. I've been contemplating ditching the canister filter and replacing it with an AC110... but was concerned about having too much flow.

Because of this thread, I think I'm going to go home and try it tonight.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Like so

Just curious. What makes you say that the fish don't seem to mind the current and what would fish have to do make you think they mind the current?

They appear to expend something approaching zero energy to deal with the current - I suppose they would have to manifest some strain/difficulty for me to imagine otherwise and not be growing like weeds.

Have another 55 with two AC 110s on it set to low flow that is much more turbulent (because AC has yet to design a directional/adjustable flow feature for their otherwise excellent units), pretty sure the discus would be less content in that but even so there are calm areas within the tank.

It's all relative, but I think it's good for fish in confinement to have to work a little bit - none of mine seem to be suffering in any case and all have sufficiently abundant energy reserves to "dance" for me every most chance they get if they feel it may involve being fed. That and nearly everything mature enough to do so or that has the right circumstances seems inclined to spawn so they can't be too miserable. Thus do I imagine.