• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB - Psuedocrenilabrus Nicholsi

dogofwar

CCA Members
I know that between Caleb and me that there were HUNDREDS of these guys in the club... Anyone? I sold the last of mine a few months ago...

Matt

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I know that between Caleb and me that there were HUNDREDS of these guys in the club... Anyone? I sold the last of mine a few months ago...

Matt

I believe that at some point, Caleb and Tonya brought over some of these (as well as many many more jewels) to be turned into predatory hap snacks....

turfboss

Members
Thanks for the help - even if it has not yet gotten a response - Matt and Tony - I would have thought several folks would have had these and have some for sale - but maybe not:(

todda

Members
I have 2m 3f, and they have spawned many times. but always spit early. I haven't figured out exactly how many days they hold for? Seems like they spit about day 13-15. Any help would be appreciated. If I ever get any fry I could ship you some. I tried to strip once & that went bad. The eggs are way to small to bubble. Kinda like petricola eggs - a pain in the ***

turfboss

Members
Hey Todd -

I think both Matt and Tony have bred these guys - maybe one of them will respond here - if not drop them a PM and ask - they will certainly help if they can. I have only the one male and one female and so far it does not appear they have spawned -

That fact notwithstanding, I think my water (in general) must be OK since I currently have an electric yellow female holding (juvies from Tony) , as well as one (of 4) of my stuartgranti ngara flametails (from Frank) and my one cutteri female (from Nick - Formulated Fire) both holding. Not sure what is happening with my Severum and Petricola (in the same tank) but had eggs all over the side of one of the clay pots yesterday morning - was guessing they are from the severum since I have two clay pots set up with the marble bases hoping for the petricola to drop their eggs there - but have not seen any yet - however, the eggs were tiny tiny dots so maybe they were the Petricola (these are new fish for me - from Caleb) and are still growing - Have had them for about 6 months and they are about 3" now so they may be getting close to spawning size.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I bred plenty of these guys (as well as the Ps. victoriae). They key is to provide the holding female with some peace. Simplest way is to drop a divider in the tank or to provide a net breeder for her.

Since the eggs and babies are small for mouthbrooders, I seem to remember a couple of weeks being long enough for free swimmers.

Matt

todda

Members
got 8 free swimmers out of the 2nd female - 61 more fry out of my 3rd female (they are just eyeballs and egg sacks) - in a few months I should have plenty to sell.

turfboss

Members
nicholsi holding

On Friday 3 nicholsi fry appeared in the tank - first sighting and they are over 1/2" long (I am excited). Then Sunday afternoon when I was checking tanks I find the female holding with a buccal sack that makes her head look like it will explode. Am removing the male (per discussion with Matt) and will remove the female when she spits - leaving the little plecos in the tank for cleanup.

What is truly amazing is that these 3 little fry never appeared once in the past 4 weeks - and I am guessing they are at least that old based on their size (and your comment about how little they are when they hatch).

Have you figured out how long the female is holding before she spits??

todda

Members
The first female held for 14 days and spit free swimmers. The 2nd spit free swimmers around day 13, but most got eaten overnight. The third female I stripped at 11 days, and they were just eye balls and egg sacks - I counted 61. I only lost 3 of 61 fry from the 3rd female that I stripped at 11 days. I have close to 90 fry total(hard to count). I have them in a hard bottom breeder basket and am feeding decap baby brine shrimp from Ken's. Some are still lying on their sides and haven't started free swimming yet. If you have any more question, just ask & I'll try to help.

turfboss

Members
Took out the male yesterday - and looks like I have 30+ of the Nicholsi fry in the tank along with the female - which I am now debating taking out - she is very protective against the other 4 fry and the plecos (who seem to pay no attention to the fry but when they get close the female chases them away). I made a fry food from a recipe I found on the web -- I mix some with water and pour a little into the tank - it settles down like a small cloud and is eventually sucked over to the sponge filter - where all those babies are now gathered feeding off the sponge - so they seem to be doing OK. Thanks for the feedback and the info you are sharing.

turfboss

Members
Looks like we need to move this discussion out of the Marketplace and into general discussions - who can do that??

todda

Members
are all of yours free swimming? I have lost about 10 of the ones that were just eyeballs and eggsacs that I stripped early, I still have about 30 or so that are lying on their sides and haven't started swimming yet. I left for a few days to go to Kansas City to see Phish & the fry doubled in size while I was gone. I got another female holding again?

turfboss

Members
free swimming nicholsi

Yes - the first four are a bit over 1/2" long - the 30+ new ones are all free swimming - even up to the top of the tank and taking some crushed flakes - although I am feeding them my home made liquid mixture - and they (so far) are all alive - I did a 30% water change this morning while they were still asleep - once they wake up they are all over the tank so it's hard to pull water without pulling fly along with it. So for so good - keeping my fingers crossed. Still have the female in with them - she just patrols around and chases the plecos away if she thinks they are too close to one of her babies - but noticed this morning that the plecos (they are only 1.5 to 2" size) don't seem to bother the fry at all and the fry swim right along side them as well.