• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Please (Re) Introduce Yourself!

dogofwar

CCA Members
I was kinda hoping that it would pull some of the folks who come to meetings but don't post on the forum much out of the woodwork...

Matt

dogofwar

CCA Members
No one else?

What if there as a chance at a special prize (at the Oct meeting) for participating?

Matt

gsedlack

Members
Greetings:

I just joined CCA and I have been a member of PVAS for just about a year. It is just amazing all of the variety of plants, fish and shrimp that are available since the time of my youth - some 40 yrs ago. I am looking forward to my first meeting in two weeks.

I have an empty 220 gallon acrylic tank in my basement that I plan on putting to use soon. My goal (subject to change) is to have 20-24 Boesemani Rainbows in with a couple of varieties of Malawi cichlids. Aulonocara baenschi, Labidochromis Caeruleus and perhaps 2 others. I'm still doing research so anything is possible.

Thanks for having me as a member!
/George - from Centreville, VA

killakacti

Members
Hi, my name is Jason and i have been a member for 1 year this month (time to renew) me and my family reside in Fredericksburg, VA.

I joind CCA because of all the availible information on the forums and access to people with knowledge in the club and not to mention th great meetings with speakers and mini auctions, although i have only made it to 3 or 4 meetings since being a member the ones that me and my family have been to we really enjoyed.

Right know we are keeping all kinds of fishys we have 3 pairs of angels, 2 pair apisto pandouro, 6 juvinile apisto triple red cockatoos, Silver dollars, Pictus cats, tetras, polethra of africans Mbuna, peacocks and haps, Kribs, and 3 or 4 diffrent plecos.

I am getting fully involed with live plants now, Micro sword, anubias, crypts and java fern just for stating out. I plan to branch out from here and even thinking of a DIY Co2 system.

Aside from the plants I am trying to get my apsitos to spawn and actually have the eggs survive the first 3 days, seems the female always wants to eat them. My other breeding poject is lake victorian Hippo Point Salmon, their still 3 o 4 months out from being breeding mature.

I am also a member of a much smaller and younger club CVAS central virginia aqurium society in Richmond, VA

rich_one

Members
  • Where you're from
  • Whether you're a member and why (or why not)
  • What kind of fish you keep
  • Some fun fishkeeping accomplishments or goals for the future
  • Whatever you like :smile:
Hello, all...

My name is Richard Chisholm, but most simply call me Rich.

Originally, I'm from Harrisburg, PA, but currently live in Waldorf, MD.

I am currently a member of the CCA, and have been for over 3 years! Wow... time flies! I joined this club after coming to a meeting, and seeing how extremely cool it was. And then I have met many, many new friends through this club, and where else can you find cool people, monthly meetings with great speakers, and just an awesome resource of all things fish-related, than the CCA! Started off with 3 friends in this club (DQ, Caleb and Mike-Danger_Chicken), and now have too many to name them all!

I keep a list of fish that may be a bit long to put here (5 tanks, including two 125 gallons, 90 gallon, 75 gallon and 55 gallon... recently sold a 33 gallon), but I did start a thread here that has what I keep (and what a lot of other people on this forum keep): http://www.capitalcichlids.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15410

I guess my biggest accomplishment was the first successful spawn I had in a tank, which was a total accident, with a pair of green flier cichlids I had (currently in the able hands of the OP of this very thread)! Spawning has never been my big primary goal in this hobby, though maybe one day I'll be more into it. I just like having tanks full of pretty fish, at the end of the day.

Three future goals... to one day get back into discus, and do them right. It's a fish I love, but admittedly have withered a bit under the water change demands it has. I mean, I do water changes plenty, but just haven't had lots of luck with juvies of this species. I may go straight adults one day, and not worry about growouts... we'll see. 2nd goal, I really, really want a larger tank, in the 220 gallon or larger neighborhood. Of course, finding one of those "cheap"... ahem... is not easy... and so I wait... My other big goal is to one day setup a saltwater tank. I just have to, at some point.

There are a few Steeler fans in this club. I don't know if I'm the biggest, but I know I'm close!

Welcome to CCA new members... and non-members, what are you waiting for? I DARE you to name something better to spend $20 A YEAR on! :D

-Rich

MHMoro

CCA Members
Hello, my name is Manuel and I have been a CCA member since 2010.

Where I am from?
I am originally from Lima, Peru, where my father initiated me into the fish hobby by getting me a 20G tank and tons of fish from the Amazon basin. Fast forward, we moved to Buenos Aires, Argentina where I completed high school and started breeding Mesonauta festivus. Unfortunately I had to stop my hobby during my college years. I did not re-started in the hobby until 5 years ago when my wife (Ofelia) got me a 30G tank.

Why I am a CCA member?
Because is one of the best clubs of course!. I have learned a lot from all of you guys and the speakers, develop friendships, discuss fish hobby issues, buy/sell quality fish among others.

What kind of fish I have?
I have about 10 different "strains" of angels fish (one of my favorite fish): phillipine blue, koi, wild peruvian, pinoy albino, etc.
green terrors (actively breeding and selecting this guys for color)
electric blue jack dempseys
red severums
blue rams
Hemichromis lifalili (extremely red jewels)
Several lines of peacoks
yellow labs
venustus
frontosas
Julidrochromis marlieri
leleupis
a few other tanganikans
several lines of swordtails
several corydora species

Future Plans?
(1) Finish my fish room (I am in the very early stages/plnning)
(2) Go to a fish collecting trip to the peruvian amazon
(3) Keep and breed discus

Other things about myself
I am a veterinary scientist working at the NIH. Part of my job is to determine/plan the future needs of animal models of human disease for the nation.

dogofwar

CCA Members
"Welcome to CCA new members... and non-members, what are you waiting for? I DARE you to name something better to spend $20 A YEAR on! :D"

Amen Rich!

Thanks for posting folks...

Anyone else?

Matt

Jay

CCA Members
Cichlids Are Special

My name is Jay Stephan. I own and operate Cichlids Are Special (an African Cichlid Online store) in York, PA. I started out as a hobbyist many years ago. When I was young I lived in Hampstead, MD and I kept live bearer fish. Later I moved to York, PA and was out of the hobby for a while. I got back into the hobby after I got married. I tried salt water fish; but, found that would not work for me. Tony from the former Tony's Tropical Fish in York introduced me to African Cichlids. I have been keeping them ever since. When Tony closed his store, I bought some tanks from him and began my business part time. The company I was working for fell on hard times and I left before they closed and went into the fish business full time. I am so glad that i got into this business. I have meet many fine people both hobbyists and professionals. I have built a relationship with several FL fish farms and I currently refining my stock to the better selling fish, especially those in the C.A.R.E.S. Program. I have not abandoned the fish that do not sell as well totally either. I offer them through my request a fish program when I am ordering from a fish farm. I also spawn as many of the fish I carry that are willing.
The CCA has been great to me from day one. I am so glad that some of my early customers and a few people from the ACLC in Lancaster got me to go to my first CCA meeting. This club is fantastic and I encourage anyone interested in fish keeping to join and support it.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Thanks for posting up, Jay and also thanks for bringing all those great Vics to the auction on Saturday. Very impressive selection, sir. :)

Cyianara69

Members
  • Where you're from
  • Whether you're a member and why (or why not)
  • What kind of fish you keep
  • Some fun fishkeeping accomplishments or goals for the future
  • Whatever you like :smile:
Hmm .. I'll bite .. Hi, my name is Cy and I've recently just got in to the hobby (only a year). I live Herndon, VA.

My daughter wanted a dog but my wife was not ready for one yet, so she compramise and got her a fish tank. It was just a 10g, but we got some platties and guppies and as many of you know, most of them are already preggies and behold 3 weeks later we had guppy fry swimming around. There were enough hiding place for the fry to survive within a week or so the tank soon was overwhelm with both guppy and platy fry... it was at this point that I went on craigslist and got 29 gallon to move the adults into and started my MTS. After this started, I got into planted aquariums. The 29g was still my biggest tank but last month I did manage to get a 55g for a steal so now I'm looking to stock it with something that will grow bigger than a few inches.

My first foray into Cichlids was last week when I picked up a GBR pair from Frank at the PVAS meeting and put them into a 20L. At this point I'm loving them and want to try Angels in my new 55g.

gem fish

Members
Hello everybody my name is DJ. Thank you for letting me join. I have been keeping African Cichlids for over 10 years now. Currently have a 90 and 55gal tanks. With mostly malawi cichlids. I am looking forward to learning more from everyone here because I will be honest I hardly know anything. I fell in love with these fish from their great colors they mature into. I know I am looking to add a lot more fish and tanks to my collection.

Last edited:
OK, I've been meaning to answer this one for a long time:

Where you're from
I was born in the Philippines and adopted by my parents when I was 1.5 years old and lived in San Diego until 2004. After getting married, we quickly moved to the East Coast for my hubby's job as a contractor for the Pentagon. We lived in Silver Spring for three months while looking for a house and when I got a job up in Gaithersburg (which lasted just a little over a year because I quit working after my first son was born). We ended up in Reston, VA where I'm very happy!

Whether you're a member and why (or why not)
How could you not be a member? This is a great club!

There are so many knowledgeable people here and they are all so nice. I love most of the talks, the auctions, the group buys, but more important, I've gotten to make many new friends over the past couple of years. The members are awesome and I'm glad that I got to know some of the members better at the AACC this past weekend, like Tony, Jon, and Sam!

What kind of fish you keep
I keep a wide range of fish, from small tetras, to angelfish, to freshwater shrimp. I have way too many fish to list, but I can try!

Angelfish
Keyhole cichlids
Celestial Pearl Danios
Emerald Green Rasboras
Red Melon Darios
Bristlenose ancistrus
Hovering Zebra Loaches
Burmese Rosy Loaches
Ember Tetras
Porkchop Rasboras
Cherry Barbs
Knight Gobies
Otos
Black Moscow Guppies
Hummingbird Darter Tetras
Orange Bumblebee Catfish
Red Claw Shrimp
Pygmy Corys
Green Lace Shrimp
Tangerine Tiger Shrimp
Daisy's Rice Fish
Wild Caught Native Darters
Synodontis petricolas
Microsynodontis sp. "BumbleBee"
Marble Headstander
Neolamprogus multifasciatus
Panaque sp. L204 Flash Plecos
Garra Ruffa
Corydoras delphax
Corydorus sterbai
Neon blue Gobies
Glass catfish
Tequila Crescent Goodeids
and I'm sure that I'm missing a few!

Some fun fishkeeping accomplishments or goals for the future
I love planted tanks! I keep about 50+ different types of aquatic plants. I'm hoping one day that I can get a really huge show tank and do a SA planted tank. Or something like an Amano tank:
Takashi-Amano-House-665x330-548x271.jpg

Whatever you like
I'm the current Corresponding Secretary for GWAPA and an a member of CCA and PVAS.

In my spare time (which is less these days with two active little boys), I love to garden and cook. I try to assist at a local cooking school in Vienna where I'm friends with the two head chefs. I also volunteer a lot at my boys' school as a room parent and GRACE Art Lead parent.