• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

PotM: What gets your vote?

What is the main factor you consider in choosing a photo to vote for?

• A species that I like

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shows off the anatomy of the fish

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Shows the fish doing something interesting

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Technically skilled - composition

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Technically skilled - exposure, clarity, focus

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Creative, eye catching, or unusual

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • Other, tell us about it!

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters

WendyFish

Members
I'm really psyched about being able to help with PotM!

Since it's not November photo time yet, I thought I'd ask a question I've always wondered about: what attributes of a photo get you to vote for it?

Pick what matters to you the most, and feel free to comment.

JasonC

Members
I voted for composition. Being a "creative", I tend to look at composition the most critically. Good composition not only draws the eye into the picture, but also tells a story. A well composed picture can accomplish most of the other choices. I tend not to look as critically at the technical aspects of photography (exposure, focus, etc), as not everyone (especially me) is on the level of a Mo Devlin (or in my case even remotely close ;P) The technical stuff definitely can help sell the composition, but, good composition can definitely help forgive bad technique!

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Greta topic Wendy!

It's tough for me to pin one specific item on earning my vote. I am certainly moved by everything you mentioned, but there are so many good photos out there that it's become a tough decision seemingly every month lately.

I do have one rule though... an out of focus or poorly lit shot will never get my vote. The fish could be standing out of the water, hula-hooping with an afro wig on and it still wouldn't win imo.

(Well... if it was doing that, then I'd probably vote for it, but short of that, forget it if it's out of focus or severely over/under exposed)

fischfan13

Banned
IMO it's all about the photo...not the fish.
The contest is called "Photo" of The Month, so I believe the best photo should win.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
IMO it's all about the photo...not the fish.
The contest is called "Photo" of The Month, so I believe the best photo should win.

True, I don't vote because its a certain type of fish.
My answer would be a combination. It must be in focus(or real close), it must have decent light and I look at the position of the fish in the picture.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Thanks for taking this on, Wendy!

My vote always goes to New World Fish. Except when there are better pictures of Old World Fish.

Matt

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
You should also look at what the fish is doing?
Other wise you get shots like this.

I call it a little bit of blue but too much poo!
026B.jpg

rich_one

Members
My method isn't very scientific. I just vote for whichever one really makes me go "WOW"! LOL...

So... no October photo contest?

-Rich

I'd vote for the prettiest picture -- species is irrelevent. For me, generally, the prettiest is the one that shows the fish off the best but also has a beautiful background. A pretty fish photographed against a sponge filter or with a big ugly heater in the background wouldn't get my vote. Neither would one with poo hanging out of it . . . :D

dogofwar

CCA Members
I think that's a picture of a worm trying to get INTO that fish... :eek:

Matt

I'd vote for the prettiest picture -- species is irrelevent. For me, generally, the prettiest is the one that shows the fish off the best but also has a beautiful background. A pretty fish photographed against a sponge filter or with a big ugly heater in the background wouldn't get my vote. Neither would one with poo hanging out of it . . . :D

Andrew

Members
There's always a picture that jumps out at me more than the others. It's usually a combination of all of the factors listed. I would totally vote for a pooping fish, just for fun.

T

tug

WendyFish, thank you and CCA for PotM. And, lets give a hand to all those who participate by sending in pictures.

From the poll results, a nice trend is easily seen in a preference for technically sound photographs. What a great way to encourage membership to improve. Expecting the best is a great start. If I compete, I know my photography skills will need to improve. This is not meant to be sour grapes, it is to say the competition is getting tuff. But, a rising tide lifts all boats.

There is another trend in the poll. An equal number of respondents want creative images. This shows up in the remaining categories with the most votes going to, "Creative…" and what I might refer to as popular culture. That's true americana, baby. The best. Nothing but good things to say… No more off color jokes. Some great pictures are going to come from it.

This too, not sour grapes, but tuff to compete…

I grew up with Kodachrome, pictures from Life magazine so context and composition are very important to me. I might not judge the picture on everything I notice in the photograph. If it's a picture of poo butt, it could get my vote.

What I've realized is that to compete blindly in a contest with so many talented people involved is very trying. What if each month had a theme. Something like they do with planted tank contests. One month might be Kodachrome PotM, next month Pop, etc. The competition could focus on a particular technical aspect of photography. If a flash technique was the theme it would allow for a more focused competition when I want to compete against other photographs using the same technique.

We are all highly competitive. If we can manage the weight class a little better then someone (me) won't feel like they just got dropped into a shark tank.

verbal

CCA Members
I think for a relatively unskilled photographer such as myself, the reasonable goal is not so much to win the contest as it is to get votes. I feel that even if my photo isn't as strong across the board as the winning photo, at least I am doing something right to attract votes.

An change or expansion to the contest will require increased participation to justify it. So in the meantime keep submitting your pictures and voting. Also encourage your friends in the club to do both. Maybe if we were getting close to 20 entries a month things could be split up enough in a way that will allow those less experienced/skilled to win a contest or two.

What I've realized is that to compete blindly in a contest with so many talented people involved is very trying. What if each month had a theme. Something like they do with planted tank contests. One month might be Kodachrome PotM, next month Pop, etc. The competition could focus on a particular technical aspect of photography. If a flash technique was the theme it would allow for a more focused competition when I want to compete against other photographs using the same technique.

We are all highly competitive. If we can manage the weight class a little better then someone (me) won't feel like they just got dropped into a shark tank.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I think for a relatively unskilled photographer such as myself, the reasonable goal is not so much to win the contest as it is to get votes. I feel that even if my photo isn't as strong across the board as the winning photo, at least I am doing something right to attract votes.

An change or expansion to the contest will require increased participation to justify it. So in the meantime keep submitting your pictures and voting. Also encourage your friends in the club to do both. Maybe if we were getting close to 20 entries a month things could be split up enough in a way that will allow those less experienced/skilled to win a contest or two.

Agreed.
It is hard enought to get pictures at all. One month we have the limit and the next month she has to beg. I put last months photo in for one reason. There was begging going on. Wendy had 2 photos on the list when I saw the post asking for people to PLEASE submit.

I will agree that I have better equipment than most but not as good as others. lol And with that better equip you still need some luck to get a good picture.
I used to have a Nikon F5. this was the top of the line 35mm camera that Nikon had but taking good photos of fish was very hard. My Iphone takes better pictures of fish than that thing did 10 years ago.

The big thing is to get people to participate. Play with the camera and show everyone what you have. The more you play with it the better you will become. Don't get discouraged. Its to have fun. Heck one person used to put a picture in every month just to see if he could get the least amount of votes. I think we would have a harder time getting themed items than we have now.

T

tug

Wining isn't everything but you have to admit that that is not much of an argument against change. Getting better is what its about. I'm happy with three votes. I might not vote for the other guy with 25, but then I've always supported the underdog.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tug

Come on Pat.
Men just have a natural aversion to themed events. I think you and CCA have the talent to do this and to make it successful.

p.s. I wont be discouraged if it doesn't happen.

Last edited by a moderator: