• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Quick! Go take a pic of your tank with your phone and post it.

Jefft

Members
sand

Use less substrate and/or sand instead of gravel. Sand packs densely enough that waste blows across it rather than falling into the cracks and can even be guided with current from filter outflows towards sponge pre-filter intakes. I have tanks with white sand I haven't vacuumed in months that look like they were set up yesterday.

Yeah I suppose I will try a pool filter sand the last stuff a sea sand I purchased from HOT was and still is a nightmare. It was so fine and light the stuff would float in the water and not settle making it hazy in the tank. I had to shovel out and dispose of the original substrate. I sucked as much of the remaining sand in the bare bottom of the tank as best I could there was still a fine layer of it on the bottom of the tank I just couldn't get out. I put coral gravel and a new argonite mix of crushed and broken shell in on top of the white coral rocks and have had little issue since. The sand does still, even in the miniscule amount that was left in the bottom of the tank, does, at times, get stirred up and I have to take the filter off and rinse all the sand out of the bottom of the filter as this stuff will literally work its way through the course sponge of a larger filter and right back into the water.
Needless to say sand scares the crap out of me at this point but I am planning on trying a pool filter sand or an argonite sand which is good and coarse.

iamzrad

Members
a1rgwz.jpg

mdlnewman

Members
The biggest of the Apisto Viejta I picked up at ECC

Sent from my VS910 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1351996216706.jpg

Last edited:

AquaStudent

Members
Here's my African Cichlid tank. I'm currently working on a DIY Foam and Concrete background...hopefully this high humidity weather will help strengthen the concrete :/
DSC_0043_zps02e675e0.jpg

And this is my first tank ever in the hobby! A 10 Gallon planted Betta Community.

2013_01_14-10g_Community_zps58138263.jpg