• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB: Holey Rock / subtrate / rock

swweiss

Members
Setting up a new 90 gallon cichlid tank (moving some from my 29 gallon and buying some new) and looking to buy a few pieces of large holey rock and some subtrate (sand, crushed coral, etc). Also, any other rock that would help my african thrive.

Thanks.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Available at next meeting

Setting up a new 90 gallon cichlid tank (moving some from my 29 gallon and buying some new) and looking to buy a few pieces of large holey rock and some subtrate (sand, crushed coral, etc). Also, any other rock that would help my african thrive.

Thanks.

I have about 8 gallons of small polished agate gravel in two buckets - the same that sells for $1/lb at the LFS. I switched to fine sand but it's clean, dry, pretty and cheap - would suit Africans just fine and should be enough for a 90.

swweiss

Members
Do you find the sand to be the best for your cichlids? I read that you should add some crushed coral subtrate for the ph levels. If I have some holey rock in there could I just scratch the idea of coral?

I'm pretty new to african cichlids.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'm a fan of pool filter sand and using limestone or other rocks that buffer in the tank.

You should come to the next meeting: Sat Oct 12 at 2:00 PM - JFK HS in Silver Spring... The topic is African Cichlids from Lake Victoria... I'm sure that there will be great rift lake fish in the auction as well!

Matt

Do you find the sand to be the best for your cichlids? I read that you should add some crushed coral subtrate for the ph levels. If I have some holey rock in there could I just scratch the idea of coral?

I'm pretty new to african cichlids.

YSS

Members
Yup, sand is way to go. I have play sand in my tank.

Also, I have a lots of lace rocks. I think they are the best for African tanks. I had them listed for sale, then kinda forgot about it. You can have them all for $60 or we can trade for stuff you have on sale. :D I live in Vienna, VA. Let me know.

photo.jpg

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Context

Depends on the cichlids. Crushed coral is good for raising/stabilizing pH for Rift Lake species. Sand is good for species that like to live on the bottom or forage through it, and also for creating a substrate layer that packs well enough that waste doesn't get trapped in it. Gravel is good for larger species that like fast-moving water, to excavate and those that never touch the bottom of the tank. One can also mix the two to create some interesting effects/conditions though the gravel tends to sink/get covered up if there's too much/a lot of sand.

Am guessing that holey rock is sandstone and basically inert, and therefore of no use beyond it's aesthetic appeal.