• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Everyone ok?

chriscoli

Administrator
Wow, that wad a bad storm! I just finished hooking up my azoo battery air pumps and unplugging the canister filters. Pepco is saying well be out till the 1st. I'm not sure how accurate that really is. A tree is down across the street and I heard a lot more wood cracking in the neighborhood before that, too. I'll be out with the pushbroom tomorrow, for sure.

Sent from my Droid using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Power flickered a bit, but never went out for more than a few moments.

Hope everything is okay Christine.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Drove home in it. Rain fell in sheets in all directions. Lots of dark intersections and branches in the roadway. Lost power for a minute but it's on now.

Sent from my DROIDX

Leffler817

CCA Members
Its on the Shore now. We've had no problems so far, knock on wood! Although, I had a 10x10' canopy on my back patio but its become a pretzel in the yard.

JasonC

Members
No power here... "luckily" I get to spend the day at work. With almost 600k people out of power for BGE... most in Howard county, and with restoration times being listed in days, this is making me rethink my non-plan for my tanks surviving a power outage. I did a heavy dose of prime this am before leaving for work to help with any waste, but I am hoping that they dont go oxygen starved before I can do something about it. maybe I should be looking at battery air pumps after all... *facepalm*:blush:

chriscoli

Administrator
Y'all heard about the water restrictions for all WSSC customers? Their power is out, too.

Sent from my Droid using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mchambers

Former CCA member
Prime

No power here... "luckily" I get to spend the day at work. With almost 600k people out of power for BGE... most in Howard county, and with restoration times being listed in days, this is making me rethink my non-plan for my tanks surviving a power outage. I did a heavy dose of prime this am before leaving for work to help with any waste, but I am hoping that they dont go oxygen starved before I can do something about it. maybe I should be looking at battery air pumps after all... *facepalm*:blush:
I'd go easy on the Prime. Think it reduces the oxygen. Don't get me wrong: definitely use if you're doing a water change, but don't overdo the dosage.

turfboss

Members
OK here - Severna Park (half way between Annapolis and Baltimore) got about 10 power out flickers but came back on again within a minute or so each time - lots of downed branches - - thought the winds were going to blow the house away but all OK here.

Am not sure I could afford all the battery powered pumps I need but am putting in one large luft pump attached to one of my APC computer back up batteries (which after last night I will now run a line to the outside to my old gas powered generator). I think we dodged a bullet here last night - this appears to be a disaster for lots of folks and I think we were just lucky not to have a lot more damage and power out for the next 3 days or so.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Taken from the WSSC website:
*** June 30, 2012***

WSSC ISSUES MANDATORY WATER RESTRICTIONS
FOR ALL WSSC CUSTOMERS
(Commercial & Residential)

Severe Storms Cause Loss of Power
to Plants and Other Facilities
I.J. Hudson
(301) 206-8100
ihudson@wsscwater.com

Laurel –June 30, 2012: The Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission (WSSC) is issuing mandatory water restrictions for all Montgomery and Prince George’s County customers, residential and commercial. Last night’s severe storms knocked out power to WSSC’s two water filtration plants and other facilities. Crews from BG&E and PEPCO are working to restore power.

The restrictions are mandatory to preserve fire fighting capabilities and to make the water supply last while repairs are underway.

There is no estimated time for when the plants will be online and producing water again, but both power companies have assured us that WSSC is one of their highest priorities.

Due to extremely high temperatures, water consumption has been at its highest this year. And, normally we would use the overnight hours to refill the system. But, last night’s storms prevented that from occurring.

Until repairs are complete, it is imperative that all business and residential customers restrict their water use. If customers do not reduce their water use significantly, it may be necessary to issue a Boil Water Advisory that would affect all of our customers.

Customers need to:
Stop all outside water use – no watering lawns, shrubs, flowers; no washing cars, no topping off swimming pools
Use water only as necessary – i.e., shorter showers and turn off faucets after washing hands
Limit flushing toilets (do not flush after every use)
Postpone using washing machines and dishwashers.
These mandatory water restrictions apply to all WSSC customers, commercial and residential, in Prince George’s and Montgomery counties. WSSC will provide updates through the local media and through www.wsscwater.com until mandatory restrictions are no longer necessary.

Beeman

Members
Spent the last 2hrs putting 4 sheets of metal back on my shop roof! BIG branches down in the yard. But thank goodness, we never lost power. The best part is, we slept thru the whole thing:D

chris_todd

Members
Power has been out here in Catonsville since about 11:30. No idea when it will be back on. While I have enough battery powered air stones for my tanks, I discovered last night that only one had fresh batteries, and we had no replacement d size. Grrr. I need to head out to the grocery store anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mchambers

Former CCA member
I've got two Aquatic Edge "HushTone" battery air pumps. Just started them, with prefilter sponges slipped over the airstones. Found a dead fish already, an Endler, but am hoping it doesn't signal a trend. Other fish look okay.

Of course, I have 7 tanks . . .

Guess I will move them around from time to time, as long as the batteries last, and while we are here. (spouse is saying we need to visit a friend who has power.)

No power in DavidsonvilleMD, south of Annapolis. Trees down everywhere, including across our driveway. Battery air pumps kicked on, but I'm worried about high temps. What's the temp breakpoint where I should really start worrying? We're at about 84 inside now, but I'm sure that will go up.

BGE says "several days.". Ugh.