• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Frankenstorm!!!!!!!!!!

Scorp1us

Members
Hi all. I'm new to keeping fish during disasters. Can you tell me how long I can last without power for my pumps? I have a 120 with 2 Ehiem Pro IIs.

How long can I not feed them for?

What about bubblers? I don't have plants.

Last edited:

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Fresh water fish can go up to two weeks without being fed if they have been being fed well. New born fry and those up to a couple months will not last unless fed daily. Salt water fish have no reserves and need to be fed daily, but you can minimize the amount you feed.

A couple years ago I wrote an article on how to survive a power outage. I think it is basically correct still. You can read it at http://aquaticlifefarm.com/web_pages/alf_article_pwr.html

Scorp1us

Members
Fresh water fish can go up to two weeks without being fed if they have been being fed well. New born fry and those up to a couple months will not last unless fed daily. Salt water fish have no reserves and need to be fed daily, but you can minimize the amount you feed.

A couple years ago I wrote an article on how to survive a power outage. I think it is basically correct still. You can read it at http://aquaticlifefarm.com/web_pages/alf_article_pwr.html

Wonderful article Frank!

This has me wondering something though I use bubblers for my canister filters. I am using a biowheel filter for a 30gal. Do I need a bubbler or is the surface action sufficient for that oxygen interchange?
EDIT: Under normal filter-working conditions.

My Dad has a generator and an air compressor and a portable tank. I could see about getting a tank and a regulator to power a bubbler...

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Anything you do that causes water movement, particularly bottom of the water column to the surface will increase the oxygen content of the water and that is good for the fish. This is true whether there is a power outage or not. If you have a source of compressed air and can use it to bubble air into your tanks, or use a battery powered air pump, using them to provide circulation via an air bubbler is great. Just be sure your compressed air does not have any oil in it.

Beeman

Members
Does that mean that if worse comes to worse, that if I keep extracting a bucket of water an hour, then dumping it back into the tank, I'm doing more for my fish than doing nothing? Not meant to be a pointless question. I'm considering all possibilities, and want to know ALL that's useful! **** the weather channel for painting nothing but worse possible scenario's !!!

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Yes, almost anything you do that causes water movement will increase the oxygen level in the water. Draining out a gallon of water and putting it back in particularly if it went back in as a thin film, it would add oxygen to the tank.

If your water level is 6 inches or less, like in a kiddie wading pool, the fish will survive well without any water motion. Such a pool with shallow water depth has a large surface area for oxygen adsorption and a depth that gets sufficient oxygen by diffusion and water flow caused by any motion of the fish. A much deeper body of water will not get enough oxygen without mechanical water flow (pump or air bubbles).

Beeman

Members
Yes, almost anything you do that causes water movement will increase the oxygen level in the water. Draining out a gallon of water and putting it back in particularly if it went back in as a thin film, it would add oxygen to the tank.

If your water level is 6 inches or less, like in a kiddie wading pool, the fish will survive well without any water motion. Such a pool with shallow water depth has a large surface area for oxygen adsorption and a depth that gets sufficient oxygen by diffusion and water flow caused by any motion of the fish. A much deeper body of water will not get enough oxygen without mechanical water flow (pump or air bubbles).

So, if my power does go out long term, I should minimize the depth to enhance surface area to volume ratio?

Beeman

Members
Good to know. Many thanks, as I know now the least I can do if the 'most' comes my way. Good luck ya'll, and may your chosen 'force' be with you in the coming days! Hold fast, and hold on tight!!!

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Well, the generator is ready.
14 gallons of extra fuel. (plus I can always pull from the motorcycle)
Gutters cleaned.
furniture tied down.
Trashcans tied together and lids tied down.
Water change on all breeder tanks.
Let her rip!

chriscoli

Administrator
I hope all our buddies on the West Coast and in Hawaii fared ok through the tsunami warnings! How far south along the CA coast did the warning extend?

mscichlid

Founder
WC's done. Resevior refilled. Sponges placed in HOB tanks.
Gutters cleaned. Oil in generator. Gas purchased. Extra extension cords and flashlight. Preparing to cook more food. Tired.

Do you guys start your gennys in the rain or do you wait until it stops if the power goes out?

YSS

Members
Fairfax county schools are already closed on Monday and Tuesday. Anyone knows what the Federal Gov't is doing?

mchambers

Former CCA member
Actually, the Feds are closed, according to that link. Gives me some hope that my employer will close, too.