• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hello, new to the community

Hello, just wanted to know could anyone advise me on repairing a very very small leak on a 155 gallon bow front. Instead of cutting out any of the old silicone. Could I just go over it with some new silicone. Because its not a big leak at all. It was given to me thanks please advise me.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
For a tank that size, you're better off being careful than just hoping it will be ok. Its never fun to come home and find 155 gallons of water on your floor.

Those tanks can be expensive, so reseal what you need to and you should have a great display tank.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Ain't no thing

It might work but there's no point in risking it, especially as it's easy to fix.

Just get a razor blade and cut through the silicone at right angles to the glass 6" on either side of the leak. Then align the blade flat against the glass and cut down and into the silicone where the glass meets from the bottom, do the same thing from the bottom cutting in toward the side of the tank and you can pull out the whole damaged section pretty much in one piece. Go back over it again with the blade to get as much of the old silicone off as possible. Then make sure it's dry (a few minutes with a hair dryer is usually all you need) and you're good to go. Can generally buy a tube of aquarium sealant at any hardware store but just about any clear silicone will do.

Do it right - literally an extra few minutes eliminates all the worry.

Thanks guys and gals, for the advice the person who gave it to me is also a fish keeper. It's a very small hairline leak on the left front corner of the seal. The bottom side. It didn't want to cut out a large portion of the seam for such a small leak. Could I try going over it with new sealant just to see if it would hold after the curing process ? Or should I cut out a small section right from the beginning. I will not make a move until I hear from my teachers of this community. "Oh teachers please advise me again thanks ". Remember it is a 155 gallon bow front tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I think you already know the answer. No one is going to tell you just to go over the old silicone. Do it right the first time and you won't have to worry.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Like everyone else suggested- reseal the tank. What is a tiny leak today may be a much larger leak in the near future.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Welcome to the forum.

Personally, I'd strip away the whole bead... maybe the whole tank. I did it with an old 150 that I got from Reeladdiction. Was a pain in the rear, but I wouldn't be able to sleep otherwise. 155 gallons being released into your house is catastrophic.

Spilling a 5-gallon bucket is bad - spilling 31 is serious damage to your home.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I find it hard to believe that you have a hair dryer, Sam ;)

It might work but there's no point in risking it, especially as it's easy to fix.

Just get a razor blade and cut through the silicone at right angles to the glass 6" on either side of the leak. Then align the blade flat against the glass and cut down and into the silicone where the glass meets from the bottom, do the same thing from the bottom cutting in toward the side of the tank and you can pull out the whole damaged section pretty much in one piece. Go back over it again with the blade to get as much of the old silicone off as possible. Then make sure it's dry (a few minutes with a hair dryer is usually all you need) and you're good to go. Can generally buy a tube of aquarium sealant at any hardware store but just about any clear silicone will do.

Do it right - literally an extra few minutes eliminates all the worry.