• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

The ORIGINAL CCAFFL, Week 3

rich_one

Members
:lol::lol::lol::lol:!!! Hey did you ever get your coffee maker back? And what is going on with Pittsburgh Man? Are they really getting old or are they just lazy... Maybe Ben shouldn't have gotten married because he really sucks right now especially in the Fantasy point department. It think those Rat Birds have your number Joel..:cool:

Who are you matching up with this weekend?
Of course, there getting old. It happens. Hopefully, some guys will step up. But hey... we can't go to the Super Bowl EVERY year, as much as I'd like it!

Regarding the Ratbirds having our number. They tend to split a game with us most regular seasons. Okay... I'm good with that. Keeps the rivalry hot, which is a good thing. So, the birds can have a win every regular season. Heck... you know what? They can sweep us every regular season, as far as I'm concerned.

Here's the thing though... until THEY eliminate US from the playoffs (the last two times we made it to the Super Bowl... it was US eliminating THEM... let's keep that in perspective), and maybe get to another Super Bowl (after all, their last apprearance was what... 11 years ago? Going on 12?) all they really are is that team in Maryland, TRYING "out-Steeler", the Steelers! LOL...

-Rich

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Of course, there getting old. It happens. Hopefully, some guys will step up. But hey... we can't go to the Super Bowl EVERY year, as much as I'd like it!

Regarding the Ratbirds having our number. They tend to split a game with us most regular seasons. Okay... I'm good with that. Keeps the rivalry hot, which is a good thing. So, the birds can have a win every regular season. Heck... you know what? They can sweep us every regular season, as far as I'm concerned.

Here's the thing though... until THEY eliminate US from the playoffs (the last two times we made it to the Super Bowl... it was US eliminating THEM... let's keep that in perspective), and maybe get to another Super Bowl (after all, their last apprearance was what... 11 years ago? Going on 12?) all they really are is that team in Maryland, TRYING "out-Steeler", the Steelers! LOL...

-Rich

Yeah, you're right...

mrkillie

Members
:lol::lol::lol::lol:!!! Hey did you ever get your coffee maker back? And what is going on with Pittsburgh Man? Are they really getting old or are they just lazy... Maybe Ben shouldn't have gotten married because he really sucks right now especially in the Fantasy point department. It think those Rat Birds have your number Joel..:cool:

Who are you matching up with this weekend?

Yeah, they're getting old, but all the problems can be linked to the O-line. O-line is bad due to injuries and lack of practice together with current group (which changes a couple times each game, UGGH!). Bad O-line means no running game, no protection in the passing game, and no time of possession, which means the D is on the field much longer and more often than usual and getting tired, which of course leads to big plays against them. UGGH! Ben turning the ball over 10 times already doesn't help-but the schedule gets weaker, and hopefully that will help.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Well how come your coach didn't address that over the off season knowing they were getting old??? Complacent maybe? Overly confident? I'd be very upset if I were a Pittsburgh Steeler fan right now.

fischfan13

Banned
I wish it wasn't NE's bye week-would be much more interesting matchup.

Or, maybe I'm glad it's NE's bye week?

Brady's bye-week and the Vikings go up against the Pack?

This was the first football draft I was in since '91.
One of the things I debated midway during the draft is haunting me right now.

mrkillie

Members
Well how come your coach didn't address that over the off season knowing they were getting old??? Complacent maybe? Overly confident? I'd be very upset if I were a Pittsburgh Steeler fan right now.

I really don't know what they are thinking-Ben can't possibly keep taking the pounding he takes every week and has been for 4 or 5 years now. We've been very upset about the lack of addressing the O-line for years. I guess they thought drafting Pouncy last year would make it all good, but it only makes the center good. :mad:

rich_one

Members
Ditto, Joel. I think all Steeler fans can tell you, we have been upset with the lack of attention during the offseason to players on the Oline, and at CB.

That said, imo, the last two offseasons, they have at least tried to address the Oline during the offseason. I think we should keep two things in mind here:

1) The Steelers have a LONG history of not drafting for need. They will take the player they think is the best player on the board, regardless of position, most of the time. In the first 3 rounds, you can be pretty sure they won't take a QB. Aside from that, they could take anybody. Just how they've always done things, and honestly... its not like that philosophy hasn't worked.

2) In addition to drafting Pouncey in the 1st round last year, they drafted Gilbert in the 2nd round this year. In this league, picks in the first 3 rounds are expected to eventually become starters at the least. So, two high picks in back-to-back drafts is not exactly "ignoring" the position.

All of that said, there is still work to do, clearly. But I don't put ALL of the blame on the Oline. IMO, Arian's offense doesn't lend much to protection schemes in the first place. That much is evident by the total lack of a FB in his offense... something else that Steeler fans don't like. And then, finally, there is Ben's style of play. He's not big on getting the ball out of his hands quickly, and checking down if he can help it. He likes to run around, and try to get vertical. So to some degree, with him, it's kind of a necessary evil to his style of play. He is a difficult QB for any Oline to block for, because you really never know where the guy is going to end up, while trying to extend a play.

So you see, I just think its more of a multi-layered problem.

If you ask me, the even bigger issue than the line's pass protection issues, have been their run blocking issues. For that, there is simply no excuse. If that doesn't change, we're dead in the water. Period.

-Rich

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Thanx Rich for that detailed explanation from a true PS Fan! To this day I still have a soft spot for the old Steelers like Terry B, L Swann, Jack Ham, F. Harris, Stallworth and that Steel Curtain Defense. Hopefully they wake up out of their funk and get started again.

RM

mrkillie

Members
1) The Steelers have a LONG history of not drafting for need. They will take the player they think is the best player on the board, regardless of position, most of the time. In the first 3 rounds, you can be pretty sure they won't take a QB. Aside from that, they could take anybody. Just how they've always done things, and honestly... its not like that philosophy hasn't worked.

2) In addition to drafting Pouncey in the 1st round last year, they drafted Gilbert in the 2nd round this year. In this league, picks in the first 3 rounds are expected to eventually become starters at the least. So, two high picks in back-to-back drafts is not exactly "ignoring" the position.

Forgot about Gilbert, and they have drafted some people in later rounds as well that haven't worked out (Tony Hills, for instance).

Since 1970, 3 QBs taken in the first round-although not one in 1984 much to the chagrin of Steeler fans everywhere, when the Steelers passed on Dan Marino, who often practiced with the team in the off season when he was at Pitt. Two of them have won multiple Super Bowls, and the 3rd holds the team record for the longest TD reception (90 yards). I personally was shocked when 1) Roethlisberger fell to #11 and 2) the Steelers actually took him.

Perhaps they should draft a QB in the 1st round more often.

mrkillie

Members
Since 1970, 3 QBs taken in the first round-although not one in 1984 much to the chagrin of Steeler fans everywhere, when the Steelers passed on Dan Marino, who often practiced with the team in the off season when he was at Pitt.

OOPS! Actually, 1982.

fischfan13

Banned
Actually Marino was drafted in '83 with the 27th pick by the Fins.

Fast Forward over 20 years later and the Fins could have drafted another QB with the 27th pick, and this time they screwed up...Drew Brees.

mrkillie

Members

Fast Forward over 20 years later and the Fins could have drafted another QB with the 27th pick, and this time they screwed up...Drew Brees.

I was not happy when the Steelers passed on him either.

Leffler817

CCA Members

They must really hate Brees as they passed on him again a few years ago in free agency. I remember it came to Miami and New Orleans vying for his services.