• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New 55g.Tank

Sprattster07

Members
My boyfriend and I are starting a new community 55g tank and we want to do more uncommon cichlids. We already have a tank of Labs but want a little more difficulty.

Our 55g tank set up is 2 AC110's with 2 200 watt heaters connected to a Ranco ETC for further control. We have tons of rock work set up and would prefer rock dwellers.

The cichlids we like the look of are Xystichromis phytophagus (Christmas Fulu), Astatotilapia latifasciata (Zebra Obliquiden), and Pundamilia sp. (Crimson Tide). We know the rules of nothing with the same genus name and nothing that looks to similar but we can't find out/decide if any of these will work together. If they won't, what are good cichlids to mix with them?

Any information will help, thanks!

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I like that you're running two 110s on your tank. Having them will make any future upgrade in tank size a bit easier.
As for the fish you are interested in, I would not mix them, especially in a 55. The chances of hybrids or increased conspecific aggression would be high imo. As for other recommendations, ill leave that to fellow members with more experience with these types of cichlids.

Sent from my DROIDX

Rather than mixing, why don't you do a colony tank of something rare and/or endangered? Blue orchid peacocks come to mind as it's something I'm familiar with and it was recently discussed in another thread. But I"m sure there are many other options . . .