• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Free rainbow cichlid fry

I"m sure I've oversaturated the club by now, but I am overrun with fry being cared for by excellent parents in a 20 gallon without other predators. That's going to be a problem for me! Anyone interested in coming out and siphoning out some fry. Rainbow cichlids are wonderful fish and others who have done this had great survival rates. Send me a PM if interested (no, Matt, they are not feeder fry.)

Plenipotentiary-at-large
About time...

...to inform the CDC that there's an infestation/outbreak in the DC metro region. The good news is that we can lead them right to the source.

You might start baking Holly - you're going to have visitors.

dogofwar

CCA Members
If anyone has ever wanted a great beginner New World Cichlid, Herotilapia multispinosa is one.

Colorful, relatively peaceful, not too big, interesting behavior, etc.

If you have a spare tank, get some fry from Holly and give them a try.

How many people in the club have BAP points for them?

Matt

PS By the way, fish that are in abundance in our club/area one minute have a way of not being available the next. Because something is available doesn't mean that it's not worth keeping (says the guy who keeps lots of rare fish...and Rainbow cichlids).

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Hey

I'm on record stating that they're pretty cool fish and that except for fact of their prolificness would be much more prized than they are. My pair have been doing a tandem side-by-side confrontation with a 6" A. oblongum all morning to defend their spawning site - pretty entertaining as he's not the least bit intimidated by just one of them but together they're got him fair flumoxed.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I'll vouch for Holly's fry. I was planning to sell a BAP batch next month, by which point they should be more than one inch.

They are also very sturdy, durable fish, tolerating a wide range of water conditions and quality.

I probably have 50 fry in the 20 gallon, still with their parents (bless their gentle little hearts).

I gotta get some of them out of there. I have no other tanks to grow them out. They are more than big enough to be on their own. They are a great fish -- anyone helping a school with a tank? They grow up nice and fairly quickly (but not too quickly) and then will pair off, get pretty and have some very interesting parental behavior.

I can bring some to the next meeting, I guess, but would like to to get some out of the tank sooner than that. How do I donate something to ECC?

Any takers?

skanda

Members
Hi HIolly,

I will take some at the next CCA meeting if you have some by then.

I am on travel as otherwise I would have collected them by now.

Thanks
skanda

turfboss

Members
Holly -

I have a free 20 gal tank and would take some of the fry if you still have some available. I am setting up some more tanks now for the ECC sale on Sunday (I can't ever go to an auction without buying something:)).

I am coming to Matt Quinn's Wednesday evening to pick up 7 - 15 gal tanks for my fish room so will be in the Gaithersburg area - if you are avail Wednesday early evening - I told Matt I would be at his house at about 7 but could come to you either before that or around 7:30 - 7:45 (depending on where you are in the Gaithersburg area) or so after I pick up the tanks from Matt.

Thanks -

George