• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

So... thinkin' about getting a dog...

rich_one

Members
good point but remember its also for his little girl. an older pet may expire sooner then later and she would be heartbroken. just sayin. good luck rich hope its a super bday for her come june 15.
Oh... what he said. Didn't see this before I confirmed it. LOL...

-Rich

rich_one

Members
Thanks, everyone for your input! This has all been very helpful! Tony, I will definitely check out that link! I think as it stands right now, it will almost certainly be a Bichon puppy or young adult (thanks for the rescue referral, Marc), or a Portuguese Water Dog, if I can find a resuce one... which looks slim, but we'll see. Hopefully, I can pull this together in time for her birthday!

-Rich

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
www.petfinder.com is a good source too. One thing to consider might be to buy a really good air filter for your HVAC system. This is where a lot of air particulates are screened out. Some are better than others, and some are geared towards hyperallergenic people, possibly even pets.

Make sure you keep the dog on flea and tick preventatives. Parasitic infestations can lead to increased dander from scratching. Regular baths with pet-friendly shampoos will also keep the coat and skin clean.

Dogs can be fun and rewarding. Good luck in your search.

londonloco

Members
Rich, I volunteer for the largest cairn terrier rescue in the world, I foster and I am an Intake Coordinator. Cairn Terriers are on the list of dogs that don't shed dander. I have two cairns myself, and normally a third one resides in this house when I foster. Even with 3 cairns running around, I have little to NO dog hair on my floors, but I do groom them properly (strip them, not cut) about 4 times a year. However, unless you've owned a cairn terrier before, and use the right buzz words on the application (crate train, human alpha, etc), they will not adopt to a person with a child under the age of 9. Cairns are prey driven, and love their toys, and many times they will go after a toy and mistakenly grab a little finger. In the correct household, with strong human alpha's, this behavior can be diminished, but it takes work. I did read your considering a Bichon, but also saw a post on cairns......

The rescue band wagon is great, we all need to rescue a dog, however, most don't realize what that entails. Unless you can find a rescue that has whelped puppies w/in the rescue, and this is a rarity, odds are your going to get a 1-2 year old dog. Many rescue dogs come with baggage. Besides being "poorly bred" which often means health problems, there are behavior problems. If you find a good rescue org, they will have foster homes that have the knowledge and are equipped to handle these problems, and won't let them go to a "forever" home until these problems are addressed and well on their way to being solved. Just make sure you ask the right questions. If you want, pm me, I can help you with those questions.

Now, the disclaimer, I am in no way saying do not go to a rescue. I am saying you need to do your homework before adopting, not only on the breed, but also on the rescue and the individual dog your considering adopting.

A few things:

1. You ain't going to find a Porteguese water dog online for adoption.
2. Maltese are a good less-allergetic breed. As are "doodles"
3. Definitely adopt. Another good sourse is adoptalab.org (they do small animal rescue from breeders trying to go out of business)
4. You can adopt a younger dog, but not a puppy. There are lots of advantages to getting a dog already potty trained, etc., at one year old. They don't have to be "old" to be in a rescue these days.

rich_one

Members
A few things:

3. Definitely adopt. Another good sourse is adoptalab.org (they do small animal rescue from breeders trying to go out of business)
4. You can adopt a younger dog, but not a puppy. There are lots of advantages to getting a dog already potty trained, etc., at one year old. They don't have to be "old" to be in a rescue these days.
Thanks, Holly!

1. I know... it's the "if there was a Santa Claus" scenario. LOL...
2. Didn't know that... will look into them. Saw a really nice looking one, actually. Regarding doodles, I read that it is hard to guarantee from one individual to the next how much of the "low dander" trait applies... no?
3. Adopt is our only focus for now.
4. Actually, you'd be surprised at how many puppies I have located so far. Just not the right one. But that said, I'm more focused on getting one as young as I can, that is the right fit, than I am on it "having to be" a puppy.

-Rich

rich_one

Members
A few things:

Just put an app in for them. Thanks, Holly... I'll let you know if anything develops.

-Rich

I think you have already made up your mind but I am in the same boat as you. My wife is allergic to pet dander (cats are the worst) and also asthmatic. That being said, we currently have a 13 year old Yorkie/Poodle (Porkie or Yoodle) that she has had since a puppy. The dog doesn't shed much (at least compared to my old Border collie or wolf hybrid that I lived with before) and has a really mellow temperament and she hasn't had any problems that an occasional shot of asthma or allergy medication doesn't take care of.

Andy

rich_one

Members
Thanks, Andy. While Bichon is at the top of our list, we are open minded to the dog that presents itself as the right fit. We are not going to close out other possibilities along this journey!

-Rich

Yes, correct, not all "doodles" are going to by hypoallergetic.

BTW, I am very involved in greyhound rescue. Greyhounds have very little hair, but I don't know how they rate in terms of allergies. You might stop by a meet and greet and hang out with them a while and see what happens! My group is greytexpectations.org

My handsome boy just this morning!

may8c.jpg

Beeman

Members
Hey Rich, I'll throw in my two cents worth here. Cent #1, as the friendly neighborhood UPS guy for over 30yrs, I come into contact with ALOT of dog breeds. I have 2 Port. water dogs on my route, and both are way hyper, and one is somewhat aggressive, AND they are working-dogs. That means they require a purpose(watch the Dog Whisperer), otherwise their energy is directed elsewhere, and that ain't always a good thing bro!!! Cent#2, I have MANY poodle mixes on the loop as well, and all are SUPER dogs. I also own a ****zu-poodle(shipoo), and can attest that they are sweeeet, don't shed AT ALL, and did I mention SWEEEET!?!?! A pure ****zu is just as sweet, no dander, and are considered one of the 'shed free' breeds. Also, I do believe poodles(we're talking toy-poodles here) are 'nearly' shed free as well, and that's what makes the ****z-poodle cross nearly perfect!! There you have it Rich. Good luck, and spend those 2 cents wisely!:D