• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Showing fish at the ACA

STATMATT

Members
Do they have a female cichlid competition. I have some sic loking bland fish that are absolutely stunning if you like that kind of thing... but it seems sexism is awash in this SPORT.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Do they have a female cichlid competition. I have some sic loking bland fish that are absolutely stunning if you like that kind of thing... but it seems sexism is awash in this SPORT.

They don't have a separate category, but you should feel free to enter a female fish if it is a stunner like you say. :)

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
One fish per tank. Females that are unusually well formed and colored well for the breed will do just as well as a male. If the judge is well schooled and knows what he/she is doing the fish is judged as an individual against the ideal for that fish. Fish should really not be simply judged against each other. The fish is given points based on how well it compares to the ideal fish of that breed and the highest number wins. This means that a female has the same chance as a male.

Now we happen to live in the real world and you know that males and females are always treated equally, right? Females are usually not entered. We were talking about fish, right?

George

Lively

Members
@George you curmudgeon... you enjoyed posting that didn't you...

Men almost always perform well when there's a fancy bit of fish tail hanging around... at least that's what it's like the the real world :p

lol

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I've often said, I should seperate a male and female for a few weeks and then enter them both. Tanks side by side. LOL
The only hitch would be that you don't know they would be side by side. You are assigned the tanks. You don't get to pick.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Good judges will evaluate fish for what they are, male or female, colorful species or drab one.

My female A. siquia "Lago Nicaragua" female won 1st in the New World Cichlids < 4" category at the Catfish Convention, overcoming both anti-female and anti-convict biases ;)

A Tilapia brevimanus won Best of Show at ACA a couple of years ago. It was a male but those aren't exactly peacocks!

Condition and conditioning are really important.

Matt

dykemyster

Great thread! I hope that many of you do bring fish to show! Someone asked the question about the size of fish. Most are rather large for their species and most are very nice.

I have an interesting story about showing fish that some may like:
I showed an Aulonocara stuartgranti "Bicolor Maulana" at the OCA which basically judges the fish the same way as the ACA. I chose my fish because instead of the typical wide shoulder my male had a huge yellow band that covered nearly half of his body (he was also huge at 7"). Competition in the Aulonocara class is amazing. My fish did not place and I was told by the judge that the band was simply too much for the particular location of stuartgranti. I personally disagreed but, at the same time I totally understood what the judge was saying.

Oh, this is my first post on the CCA forum.

Hi!

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
It can be.
There are some people in the hobby that really go all out to show fish.
I do it for the fun and I love to win. LOL

Ophelia77

Members
I was thinking on my male platinum comb-tail angel until he broke off the bottom part of a vent (sniff). I have a DD comb-tail I could enter if nothing happens to his fins by then, and a smokey female that would do well, but i'm torn with the advice on tank size... Yes they are angels and would look much bigger in a ten, but when my males stretch their find out they are ten to eleven inches tall and would clamp their fins in anything less than a 20H... I have never been to a fish show before so I have no idea what the norm is for super-veils vs. tank size.