• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How's everyone doing?

Ruth, you still down?

Came back on at 4 pm yesterday. House was 60 degrees, and tanks must have been about the same, despite the blankets on them. Instead of rapidly heating up the tanks with warm water, I just let the heaters do their thing, and amazingly (to me, at least), had no fish losses. Whew, am I exhausted. However, it still seems trivial to what Bill, et al, are going through up north. :(

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Came back on at 4 pm yesterday. House was 60 degrees, and tanks must have been about the same, despite the blankets on them. Instead of rapidly heating up the tanks with warm water, I just let the heaters do their thing, and amazingly (to me, at least), had no fish losses. Whew, am I exhausted. However, it still seems trivial to what Bill, et al, are going through up north. :(

Great to hear, Ruth.

Yeah - been reading their hurricane thread over on ECC... pretty rough.

Tony -- is there something CCA can/should do to help out those affected by the hurricane, in terms of fish? Stage a rescue? collect all our battery powered pumps and drive them up? I know people are dealing with serious losses, but if there's something we can do to keep their fish alive, it might help a little bit.

verbal

CCA Members
Sherry(PVAS president) sent an email to the New York's Coney Island aquarium, to see what assistance could be provided. I will post any response she passes on.

longstocking

Members
They are all doing bad up there... http://forums.eastcoastcichlids.org/showthread.php?t=13161

Looking at this thread... I don't even know where to start. Most of them are okay in terms of tanks ( air ). It's just the temps of the tanks... But some of them can't even find gas and the lines to get gas in north NJ are bad...

People are buying a few generators... then selling them on the streets for twice what they paid because they are sold out up there.... It's sad!!!!

Tony

Watched Brian Williams on NBC last night. It's pretty horrific in places, notably parts of the Jersey Shore and Staten Island. We're talking beyond lack of power - standing water in the streets, entire neighborhoods leveled, boats in front yards, national guard and curfews.

How about something simple? Local pump and battery drive and mail them up to someone central for distribution?

Tony

What is Bill's situation?
What does ECC want help with?

I have a call into him. I know that as of yesterday, he was still out of power, but some areas near him were being restored. I'll post up after I hear from him.

gardengirl

Members
I just received an email back from the New York Aquarium. It said:

Thank you so much Sherry. We are still assessing damage and needs while
maintaining needs of the animals.

We hope to have an update very soon.
We truly appreciate your concern and interest.

Sincerely,
Kate

Not much to go on, but they know we are standing by willing to help if they need it. I'll post more as I hear back from them.

I just read that they are out of power and if it's not up soon they're going to have to start evacuating animals.

Does anyone have contact with Baltimore Aquarium or others to help them?

I have friends at FEMA, including one stationed in NYC. Send me a PM with contact information and I'll try to get them some attention.

I got this in the mail today, having ordered it just before the storm. It was only $170 or so on Amazon. It has three outlets and can be recharged by your car lighter. It's much more powerful than the two other powerpaks that I have. Everyone who doesn't have a generator, should have a few of these.

powerpak.jpg

bschuhart

Members
I have something like that one and it came in handy when I lost power in the storm of Sept 2011. it kept the air going to my entire fish room for 5 days in addittion to keeping my smart phone charged.

I got this in the mail today, having ordered it just before the storm. It was only $170 or so on Amazon. It has three outlets and can be recharged by your car lighter. It's much more powerful than the two other powerpaks that I have. Everyone who doesn't have a generator, should have a few of these.

fischfan13

Banned
I talked to Bill Thursday. He , family, and fish are fine. No power at the house.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

...and it was the first time I ever rushed you off of the phone! :p

I am back.
We were in the middle of a move when all of this happened.
The old house is still without power. I was there today cleaning up and the inside temp was 52f.
The tank temps had dropped as low as 60f.
Incredibly I had only four deaths...two related to aggressiveness when I shoe-horned 13 tanks into 5 and two were Ancistrus that were found a day after I had emptied tanks.
Many of us can now write papers on how to keep fish alive when without power for a week and nightly temps are in the 40's.
I found ideas that were useless, like adding bags filled with warm/hot water.
I found ideas that were extremely helpful...taking out about 10% of the tanks water and adding 5% at a much warmer temp.

Frank Cowherd, you are now a legend.
Your article was posted on ECC and on ECC's Facebook page and people all around the area were using your article as a guide.

To all of the people of CCA...thanks.
Thanks for the constant calls and texts.
Thanks for the smiles that you put on my face...and my family's face as well.

Bill -- I'd like to suggest you as a future speaker, perhaps with Frank -- about this topic. It's been happening so frequently to so many and we really need to have a good handle on what does and doesn't work, and how to prepare (for those of us without generators).

Tony - What do you think?

And Bill, so glad you're OK.

fischfan13

Banned
Bill -- I'd like to suggest you as a future speaker, perhaps with Frank -- about this topic. It's been happening so frequently to so many and we really need to have a good handle on what does and doesn't work, and how to prepare (for those of us without generators).

Tony - What do you think?

And Bill, so glad you're OK.

Holly, I like the gesture but Frank should go solo on something like that...I was only taking his advice.

Thanks Holly. :)