• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

rate your local fish store

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Years ago, Tracey and I would go on a drive on a weekend and look for stores. One day we would drive to the Philly area, find a phone booth and look at the yellow pages.
(for those under 30, a phone booth was somewhere you could make a phone call before cell phones. Also change into your tights and cape if you needed too.)
We would drive around looking for the stores based on the phone book.
Another time we did it in Harrisburg, DC area, etc. Also did it on vacations. I think we did it in Canada one time and in Florida.
Heck, on a trip to Florida in 1980, we visited a store and found a FAMA magazine. I bought the mag and found an ad for That Fish Place. So when we got back from FL we drove up there. lol Long way to find something an hour from me.

Lively

Members
I find it really frustrating there are no real lfs's in my area - sometimes I just want to go look at fish! With 4 kids - the youngest 21 months - a hour drive is just not doable. I am grateful that the big box stores near me are better than average - but I really wish there was a decent lfs closer.

I actually got my first Jack Dempsey in a really cool store down in Raleigh, NC. It was huge - had lots of interesting fish and larger ones - the jack we got was probably 6-7"! I wish I could remember the name of it - I guess that shop was the start of me becoming a cichlidiot!

Sonny Disposition

You took your wife with you when you went driving around looking for fish stores?

She must really love you.

Years ago, Tracey and I would go on a drive on a weekend and look for stores. One day we would drive to the Philly area, find a phone booth and look at the yellow pages.
(for those under 30, a phone booth was somewhere you could make a phone call before cell phones. Also change into your tights and cape if you needed too.)
Another time we did it in Harrisburg, DC area, etc. Also did it on vacations. I think we did it in Canada one time and in Florida.
Heck, on a trip to Florida in 1980, we visited a store and found a FAMA magazine. I bought the mag and found an ad for That Fish Place. So when we got back from FL we drove up there. lol Long way to find something an hour from me.

I like centerville aquarium, they are mainly saltwater fish but keep their tanks clean and have some nice FW stock from time to time.

Jumbie

Members

LOL ROTFL!!!!!:D What does this phone both you speak of look like...LOL.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Yea, I have to agree with Pat. This is a very sensitive subject because of our present sponsors and future sponsors. I think the best way to go about it is to make a list of all the Local Fish Stores and where they are located in Md, DC and Va. I am quite sure lots of people are not aware these stores even exist.

For Example, here is a list of the stores that I know and if you like please add to the list with other important info.

1. Scales Tropical Fish Warehouse
2. Pristine Aquariums
3. Tropical Lagoon
4. Custom Aquariums and Tropicals
5. etc

Richard

Ok, here is all of the LFS's that I know of period:

1. Scales Tropical Fish Warehouse, 744 Cloverly Street, Cloverly, MD 20905, 301.384.7839,www.scales-tfw.com, ask for the owners Andrew or JAMES;)

2. Pristine Aquariums, 356 South Picket st.,Alexandria, VA 22304, 703.823.7878 www.pristineaquariums.com ask for the owner Philip.

3. Tropical Lagoon, 9439 Georgia Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20910, 301.585.6562, www.tropicallagoon.com ,ask for the owner Steve O.

4. Custom Aquariums and Tropicals, 2634 E Monument St Baltimore,MD,
21205 (410) 732-6015.

5. Exotic Aquatics,
8870 Waltham Woods Road Baltimore, MD 21234, www.exoticaquatics.com, 410.668.1200.

6. House of Tropicals, 7389 Baltimore Annapolis Bl #f Glen Burnie, MD 21061, (410) 761-1113, www.houseoftropicals.net

7. Aquarium Depot, 3689 Offutt Rd # B Randallstown, MD 21133
(410) 521-4529, www.aquariumdepot.net, ask for the Manager Jim Chu

8. Congressional Aquarium, 138 Congressional Ln Rockville, MD 20852,www.congressionalaquarium.com, 301.881.6182.

9. Tropical Fish World, 6529 S Frederick Ave Gaithersburg, MD 20877
(301) 921-0000,www.tropicalfishworld.com ask for Andrew/Ross or owner Jim.

10. Aquarium One, 835 Rockville Pike# I Rockville, MD 20852
(301) 294-3474

11. Eden's Pet supplies and Aquarium, 3771 Bladensburg rd, Brentwood, MD 20722, 301.699.7584.

12. Ricks Fish and Pet Supply,1003 W Patrick St Ste J. Frederick, MD
21702, 301.694.9664.

Extra; The Petco in Beltsville, Md is the cleanest one I've ever seen.
Pet Smart in Rockville is OK. Emergency, Walmart is open till 10pm.

If I missed any, please feel free to add your own.

Good Luck,

Richard

Last edited:

Cartel

Members
Dang and I thought I had been to all of them. Looks like I got some more exploring to do. Thanks for the list!

oooooo tropical lagoon has dart frogs? Iv always wanted a nice posion dart frog tank. One of my co workers has one setup and it looks sick!

Last edited:

fishmeds

Members
I don't like to talk badly about companies or people on the forum, but I don't mind praising them. After talking with the owner for some time and purchasing numerous very healthy fish from him, I have to tip my hat to Scales. They go the extra mile and spend the extra money to get you a healthy fish. He was the first guy I had ever come across to have healthy, nicely bellied and established Green Phantom Plecs (L200s). Their method and policy on quarantining should be used by everyone, hobbyist and stores alike.

maddog10

Members
I went into Pristine Aquariums for the first time yesterday. WOW, what a nice store. Store was clean, fish were healthy and the aquariums were 'pristine'. They had a nice assortment of fresh and saltwater fish. Lots of cichlids! If you get a chance be sure to stop in.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Tropical lagoon isn't there anymore. Best update your list you old cigar adict.

George

Jumbie

Members
Tropical lagoon isn't there anymore. Best update your list you old cigar adict.

George

Tropical Lagoon is still there, they just moved downstairs.

The store is still there just two doors down from the old spot (clown fish are painted all over their door) and they are down stairs with a big CCA sing on the way down the staris.