• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB: stock for new 55g

Am looking for the following, would prefer to buy locally (live near Annapolis, work in Owings Mills, both in Maryland). If you have these, or have any leads on somebody who might, please let me know.

- Cynotilapia Afra "Nkhata Bay"
- Labidochromis Perlmutt
- Melanochromis (or Pseudotropheus, whichever is the "new" name) Cyaneorhabdos (aka Mainganos)
- Iodotropheus Sprengerae (aka Rusties)

I'm on the fence about the mainganos, since if the M/F doesn't work out right, I could have some mean males on my hands, from what I've read.

I'm after the color variety, and a small size (max 3-4"), so if you have something else that fits these parameters, please let me know. However, I already have a tank with Yellow Labs and White Tail Acei, so I definitely don't want more of those.

Thanks!

Ruth

verbal

CCA Members
- Melanochromis (or Pseudotropheus, whichever is the "new" name) Cyaneorhabdos (aka Mainganos)

I'm on the fence about the mainganos, since if the M/F doesn't work out right, I could have some mean males on my hands, from what I've read.

Even though the Melanochromis genus is generally very agressive, I think mainganos tend to be pretty peaceful.

I think another option for small, peaceful and blue may be a Cynotilapia afra.

toddnbecka

Members
I have perlmutts and maingano's. I picked up a group of 5 maingano's last year, now pretty well grown out, then more recently added 4 younger ones to the group. No spawning yet, which is why I was adding more to the group, then I finally realized the lack of a heater in the tank (low 70's) may have something to do with it. That doesn't seen to bother the ruby red peacocks though, they still spawn reagrdless. In any case, I've never seen any aggression among the maingano's, they seem to be the mellow misfits of the Melanichromis group. They share a semi-crowded 75 with a good number of ruby red peacocks and a handful of Synodontis peticola.
The perlmutts are just around 1" now, I think there are 10 that size, a couple males showing their colors even at that size. They also share a 75 with a smaller group of ruby red peacocks and a pair (?) of Tanganykian bullhead catfish. The fry do surprisingly well, apparently not many get picked off by the other/bigger fish.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
My breeding group of rusties is in a 50 gallon (48"x18"x13" tall) with maingano. Very little aggression between the two species.