• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Summer Fish Projects?

dogofwar

CCA Members
What are folks' summer fish (room) projects?

I set up a 180g tetra tank and a new rack of tanks in the fishroom. I've removed about a dozen tanks from the fishroom in favor of fewer, larger tanks...

What are other folks up to?

Matt

Becca

Members
I've done some "set up" spawns with black emperor tetras and threw what I think is a pair of B. cupido out in a 100 gallon tub. I have no idea if anything's happened in there yet. I've also got tubs of Danio choprae, Breviboras dorscioletta, and Rasbora pauciperforata. I pulled the White Clouds from their tub when the heat got really bad, but still managed a decent number of fry to grow out. I'm also growing out a few desert gobies that I managed to salvage as eggs, before papa ate the whole clutch. In Isaac's room I swapped the newts from a fluval view to the 7.5 gallon rimless with some awesome spider wood and we're still working on what to put in the 92 corner that Jeremy refurbished over the summer.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Well, looks like I'll be embarking on the grand-daddy of summer fish projects: moving and re-setting up the fishroom.

We're moving to a slightly larger house about 1/2 mile away (the place we're currently renting is going to be sold).

I'll start a dedicated thread but, long story short, I'll have a 2-car-attached garage as my dedicated fishroom (AKA the basement in the new place is finished throughout and off limits to fishy activities).

Other than a heavy-duty wooden garage door, the garage is unfinished so I'll either be insulating the whole thing or carving out a sub-room. Good news is that there is an HVAC outlet (from the house) that's currently closed off (but a new vent could be added).

Oh, the possibilities. Oh, the PITA of moving...

Becca

Members
Well, looks like I'll be embarking on the grand-daddy of summer fish projects: moving and re-setting up the fishroom.

We're moving to a slightly larger house about 1/2 mile away (the place we're currently renting is going to be sold).

I'll start a dedicated thread but, long story short, I'll have a 2-car-attached garage as my dedicated fishroom (AKA the basement in the new place is finished throughout and off limits to fishy activities).

Other than a heavy-duty wooden garage door, the garage is unfinished so I'll either be insulating the whole thing or carving out a sub-room. Good news is that there is an HVAC outlet (from the house) that's currently closed off (but a new vent could be added).

Oh, the possibilities. Oh, the PITA of moving...
Why on earth did you set up the 180 if you were movoing? You are a glutton for punishment!

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Moving large volumes is always a pain. I'm always afraid of cracking a tank or losing a fish. Good luck to you. The positive is that it's not too far away. If you need help with ideas on how to make the garage work, post some pics and ask.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Why on earth did you set up the 180 if you were movoing? You are a glutton for punishment!

Didn't know we would need to move. A health issue in our landlady / neighbor's family precipitated the need for them to sell.

Catching some tetras and draining the 180 won't be too bad...

Matt

mchambers

Former CCA member
Yeah, those tetras have been caught before. I'm sure you can get some help from other club members when you move, too!

dogofwar

CCA Members
The key is being systematic and organized. Not trying to do everything at once. Fish can live and be happy in Rubbermaids and buckets just like tanks. The key is consistent temps and having air on them.

We'll be renting this property as well, so we can't get carried away. I'm thinking fiberglass R13 on the walls and higher R on the "ceiling" joists. Both are exposed.

Anyone know of a good crew to install? It's not rocket science but I'm going to be up to my eyeballs in other stuff.

Matt

Moving large volumes is always a pain. I'm always afraid of cracking a tank or losing a fish. Good luck to you. The positive is that it's not too far away. If you need help with ideas on how to make the garage work, post some pics and ask.

Becca

Members
Didn't know we would need to move. A health issue in our landlady / neighbor's family precipitated the need for them to sell.

Catching some tetras and draining the 180 won't be too bad...

Matt
Awww. That sucks, I'm sorry.

chriscoli

Administrator
Holler if you need an extra pair of hands. I've certainly benefited from the generosity of club members in the past. Time to give back.